Egg broke and was sticking out of vent, now chicken is lethargic !

I see some white stringy things, but could those just be urates? The pictures are out of focus. I doubt that those are worms or maggot, but not sure. A more clear picture would help. Tapeworm segments may be seen in poop moving around. Maggots also move. Maggots can enter the vent from the skin. Usually this happens when there is a soiled vent or a cut that gets fly larvae, and the maggots hatch out. Here is an article about flystike just to see what that looks like:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Same hen that expelled the lash material in this other thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-pooped-hard-light-yellowish-nugget.1564019/

Worms would be only part of her issue if it is.
She's got Salpingitis, has also had a collapsed egg that you had to remove. Was it all intact or did the contents of the egg spill out?

You can try treating her again for infection to see if that helps. Sadly, a lot of times when hens have reproductive problems the issue is chronic, so the best you can do is treat symptoms as they arise, keep them comfortable and evaluate their condition daily. Sometimes they can bounce back for short periods of time, but ultimately there comes a time when they just can't.
Yes, this is the same hen… Her first egg spilled out before I saw it, most of the shell was broken and already out of her. She tried to lay another a day or so ago and it was no shell, only membrane. There was some water-looking liquid that spilled out, but not much inside of it.

I can definitely try treating her with antibiotics again and hoping for the best. I think you’re right, it’s kinda an uphill battle. I’m just not sure why the lethargy and not wanting to eat just now showed up, she was feeling fine even when I saw the lash eggs & was treating with antibiotics. She has also been doing well during her ascites treatment & has no extra fluid in her belly.. It’s just one after another illness unfortunately

Is her crop emptying?
Is she pooping at all?
Is she moving about or just stationary/lethargic?

Some reproductive issues can be difficult to treat, supportive care is often the best you can do.
Try offering wet feed, a little scrambled egg or tuna to see if you can entice her to eat her normal feed.
Her crop is emptying yes, she’s pooping still but it’s very watery w/ green solids. She is also still moving around, but will stand or sit in one area for most of the time. If she was eating she would almost seem normal.
And I’ll try tuna soon, thank you. She hasn’t had much protein recently so hopefully that works

I'm sorry she's starting to decline again.
This can often happen with hens that have reproductive disorders, they have their ups and downs until finally they are not able to overcome the condition that is causing their symptoms.

I'd work on getting her hydrated. Electrolytes for a couple of days. I'd try extra calcium for about 3 days to see if she's having problems expelling the lash material or an egg.
You can try antibiotics again to see if those make a difference. Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct, so they may help reduce that.

I'm sorry she's starting to decline again.
This can often happen with hens that have reproductive disorders, they have their ups and downs until finally they are not able to overcome the condition that is causing their symptoms.

I'd work on getting her hydrated. Electrolytes for a couple of days. I'd try extra calcium for about 3 days to see if she's having problems expelling the lash material or an egg.
You can try antibiotics again to see if those make a difference. Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct, so they may help reduce that.
Thank you for the kind words and the help, I’ll try all of these things and hope for the best. You really have been a lifesaver for every time Angel has gotten sick!

Do you have photos of her and her poop?

A video of her actions would be helpful - upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

Look her over really well for lice/mites, look inside her ears for infection (the inside of the ear should look clean with no debris/yellow wax or bugs), get a good look inside her beak for any canker/lesions and check her crop to see that it's emptying overnight.

For the eye, I would go ahead and rinse it with saline to see if that brings some relief, perhaps she got something stuck in the eye. Ointment like Terramycin or Original Neosporin can be put into the eye as well to help with inflammation.

You're not a bother:hugs
I wish I had better answers for you and I certainly do hope and wish she will get better.

The poop is looking better!

Hopefully she'll continue to improve for a while.

If you can't find saline, you can make your own. The recipe is 4 cups boiled water, add 2tsp salt, let cool. You can store in a clean jar for up to 24hrs. I'd make new/fresh daily.

Back
Top Bottom