Egg broke and was sticking out of vent, now chicken is lethargic !

It looks like bile from the liver. Please update with other pictures of droppings. Here is a good video of tapeworms moving in droppings:

I finally was able to upload the video of the original worms. Her other droppings have been very watery with lots of dark green. She is also panting today, breathing with her beak open. It’s not warm / close to hot in the house at all !! Every new thing makes me more confused with her.

Attachments

• 3E3D3F0C-2456-4257-82E6-BD3B9F85E0CB.jpeg
    3E3D3F0C-2456-4257-82E6-BD3B9F85E0CB.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 1
I would use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and again in 10 days, or SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days to get capillary worms. Cecal worms only require the SafeGuard given once and again in 10 days, but I would give it for 5 days in case of capillary worms. I don’t know if that is cecal or capillary worms in your video.

I would use Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and again in 10 days, or SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days to get capillary worms. Cecal worms only require the SafeGuard given once and again in 10 days, but I would give it for 5 days in case of capillary worms. I don’t know if that is cecal or capillary worms in your video.
Hey again. I’m not sure how long the dewormer takes to work but 3 days in I don’t see any dead worms in her poop- and she’s barely eating / moving around :( not sure if this is because of the worms still being alive or something else? I have also been supplementing her with calcium as recommended.

Last night she tried to lay a very thin egg (she had an infection in her oviduct, this is her second attempt at an egg since I treated with antibiotics), the egg looked like it either collapsed inside her or cracked when it was being pushed out. 3/4 of the shell was hanging off her and 1/4 was still inside. As soon as I saw it I very gently removed the connected piece that was still in her vent.

Hey again. I’m not sure how long the dewormer takes to work but 3 days in I don’t see any dead worms in her poop- and she’s barely eating / moving around :( not sure if this is because of the worms still being alive or something else? I have also been supplementing her with calcium as recommended.
Same hen that expelled the lash material in this other thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-pooped-hard-light-yellowish-nugget.1564019/

Worms would be only part of her issue if it is.
She's got Salpingitis, has also had a collapsed egg that you had to remove. Was it all intact or did the contents of the egg spill out?

You can try treating her again for infection to see if that helps. Sadly, a lot of times when hens have reproductive problems the issue is chronic, so the best you can do is treat symptoms as they arise, keep them comfortable and evaluate their condition daily. Sometimes they can bounce back for short periods of time, but ultimately there comes a time when they just can't.

Same hen that expelled the lash material in this other thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-pooped-hard-light-yellowish-nugget.1564019/

Worms would be only part of her issue if it is.
She's got Salpingitis, has also had a collapsed egg that you had to remove. Was it all intact or did the contents of the egg spill out?

You can try treating her again for infection to see if that helps. Sadly, a lot of times when hens have reproductive problems the issue is chronic, so the best you can do is treat symptoms as they arise, keep them comfortable and evaluate their condition daily. Sometimes they can bounce back for short periods of time, but ultimately there comes a time when they just can't.
Yes, this is the same hen… Her first egg spilled out before I saw it, most of the shell was broken and already out of her. She tried to lay another a day or so ago and it was no shell, only membrane. There was some water-looking liquid that spilled out, but not much inside of it.

I can definitely try treating her with antibiotics again and hoping for the best. I think you’re right, it’s kinda an uphill battle. I’m just not sure why the lethargy and not wanting to eat just now showed up, she was feeling fine even when I saw the lash eggs & was treating with antibiotics. She has also been doing well during her ascites treatment & has no extra fluid in her belly.. It’s just one after another illness unfortunately

Is her crop emptying overnight?

Sometimes when they don't feel the best, they go off their normal feed. Try offering it wet, add a bit of plain yogurt on top, bits of scrambled egg or fish (sardines/mackerel). Try just bits of things to see if something interests her.
It is emptying overnight yeah, I’ll try giving her what I have and see if she wants any of it.
For antibiotics though, I should give her another 5 days? and continue worming ad well?

Yes, I'd finish the deworming.

What antibiotic did you use last time? Baytril? It's normally given for 5 days, but if she's not showing improvement by the day 3 then likely she won't with 5.

Yes, I'd finish the deworming.

What antibiotic did you use last time? Baytril? It's normally given for 5 days, but if she's not showing improvement by the day 3 then likely she won't with 5.
Enrofloxacin 10% is what I used last time for 5 days.
What would it mean if her crop didn’t empty overnight?

Back
Top Bottom