Egg cracked 4-5 days early--any hope?

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
This little guy was supposed to hatch 4-5 days from now. Somehow another hen (broody mama was away) cracked it open. I can hear it peep, so it is still alive. I stuck it in an incubator and tried to make it extra humid, but I'm wondering what the chances are of survival? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3693.JPG
    IMG_3693.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 93
Hello,

I would have suggested this: As long as the membrane is okay, it is fine.
But now that I look, the blood... Is it? Is there.

If he/she is peeping, she should be fine!
And I wish you the best of luck, hope it works out!

-The Angry Hen

There is definitely blood. The membrane is not intact. I'm worried that the membrane will dry out. But the little beak is out and able to breathe, so that's good news.

Yes, that sure is good news! I may be wrong, but as long as she is breathing the blood might just be normal for the issue you have. She will most likely be fine. :fl

-The Angry Hen

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I would try to keep the membrane moist. Are you sure about your expected hatch date? I wouldn't expect ANYTHING to hatch 6 days early and survive. But I do THINK peeping is a good sign. Do not try to help her out the rest of the way or she will definitely bleed to death. Though I am no expert... and life DOES seem to find a way!

Here is a link to development at different days, it might help to understand the possibilities...
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1459/embryonic-development-day-by-day/

:fl

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I would try to keep the membrane moist. Are you sure about your expected hatch date? I wouldn't expect ANYTHING to hatch 6 days early and survive. But I do THINK peeping is a good sign. Do not try to help her out the rest of the way or she will definitely bleed to death. Though I am no expert... and life DOES seem to find a way!

Here is a link to development at different days, it might help to understand the possibilities...
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1459/embryonic-development-day-by-day/

:fl

I agree with you 100%!

-The Angry Hen

I'm not 100% sure of the hatch date. All the others in this brood hatched Friday and yesterday, but this egg was one that another of my hens snuck in and laid when broody mama was off one day. I know it was several days after she started brooding, but not sure how many. I will moisten the membrane every so often.

Ugh, it's difficult having other hens lay in your broody nest. :barnie I have accidentally collected the a hatching egg instead of the new egg because it was dark and my pencil marks weren't dark enough because they got lighter through sitting. Next time I will use marker. I check eggs at the end of every day and make sure there are the same # there should be... but things DO happen.

Sometimes I think Broody's are actually booted by hens higher in the pecking order. It has even caused my broody to go to another box and maybe not have returned in time if I weren't there to intervene.

That chick will definitely not survive if left with the broody. If she has enough other chicks though you might be able to sneak it in with them after it hatches and becomes strong enough. Since it is peeping, it might have already internally pipped and be in it's hatching process. If it didn't pip and hatch today, chances are the broody would have left it in the next day or so. (though it's still Saturday here) And even if it did hatch, might not be able to keep up once she goes foraging. 1 day can make the difference between life and death. 2 days is even worse. 3 days in the bird world gives the last hatched very little room to strengthen up and not be trampled. All you can do now is your best! I don't give up until they do. :fl

Sorry don't mean to change the subject, but I have had broodys kicked off their nests by more dominant hens and go to a different nest leaving my hatching eggs to get cold. I have since started separating my broodys, especially my BOs. BOs don't seem to be very dominant or smart. Don't get me wrong I love my BOs, they are great mothers, but they don't seem to know the correct nest to go back to and when broody don't take care of themselves the best (don't like to get off their nests to eat or drink). My GLWs on the other hand I don't necessarily move when broody. For one I don't have as much luck moving them even at night. It seems like the next morning they realize they're somewhere new and don't want to stay there even with eggs under them. I even had one decide not to sit anymore when I moved her and I was stuck with no broody no incubator and hatching eggs that went bad. GLWs also seem to be more dominant and don't get kicked off their nests as easy and when they get up to eat and drink
They seem to know the correct nest to go back to. I need to have a hen that is a cross between a BO and a GLW and hope for the best of both sides. Knowing my luck I'd probably get the worst of both sides though. Anyway I'm rambling again. I have a small hen sized dog crate or an old covered litter box that I set up separate from the other hens in an old stock water tank for cows or horses (my chicken coop is a coop on one side and a garden shed on the other side). The shed side is where I set up. I move my broody at night after a few days (just to make sure she's going to stay broody) with her eggs. I mark her eggs with a Sharpie marker so I know which ones are hers. A Sharpie marker seems to work better than pencil. It doesn't wear off and is easier to see. It's the pits to get old. My eyes aren't what they used to be. The broody stays there by herself happy and undisturbed until hatch day. Sorry for being so long winded.

Interesting thoughts and insights. I will mark my eggs better and check more often. My little fella did not make it. But I have another hen going broody at the moment, so it's all good. We'll have more chicks again soon.

Back
Top Bottom