Egg Custard Bake... YUM!

Quote:
Please explain the water bath thing. This is something that *sounds* easy enough for me to make...

Also, could you use margarine instead of real butter or will it mess something up?

No help?
sad.png

A water bath is using a larger pan which has water in it and then you place the smaller (in this case custard pan(s)) into the larger pan. The idea being that the water evenly distributes the heat. It's kinda like a double boiler - only in the oven. Many custards are done this way - so I guess it would definitely help.

I'm gonna give this recipe a try and use Buff Hooligan's idea on the apples and yogurt.

Thanks all!
yippiechickie.gif

Good explanation on the water bath! It is also used when baking cheesecake, it should keep it from developing large cracks. But with cheesecake, wrap foil around the bottom of the pan if you are using a springform pan.

Thanks Halo, I'm convinced I must try this now.

So, it's somewhere between a pie and pudding? I've had what they call "frozen custard" but that was just ice cream.

What exactly is real custard like? I've never had any.

It has a very very very smooth testure, and it holds it shape, not runny at all. You just have to make some and try it; you'll see.

Back
Top Bottom