Egg eatin' chickens..

writerskramp

Songster
Oct 20, 2020
What do 'YOU' do.. Have placed 6 to 7 egg decoys in lower nests where the egregious activities take place.. Slowed them down, but it's picking up. Lost three today. One top nest always has a single egg and is henpecked, just a peck. Had trouble in the past with chipmunks to mice.. This ain't no chipmunk, this a bunch of chickens or at least one.. Suggestions?

Go out and collect eggs every hour or as often as possible so they can’t peck them after a while they’ll stop and It’s usually because they’re bored so if you can let them out as much as possible or give them something to do that might stop it too.

Go out and collect eggs every hour or as often as possible so they can’t peck them after a while they’ll stop and It’s usually because they’re bored so if you can let them out as much as possible or give them something to do that might stop it too.
Sounds like it would work.. only if I didn't.. Maybe just earlier in the day might work, I know they get testy if I don't feed em' and water them early enough according too their digital wrist watch.. Texas Instrument, it's only a buck. Could be the problem, the earlier I show. The less the damage.. Thanks!

hey writer, I know collecting eggs all the time isn't realistic, luckily I've not had this problem yet, it happened a few times but I think only when they got crushed accidentally.

I reckon this is the reason some people build a rolling egg laying box where eggs roll to the back as soon as they are laid and stop any getting at them.

hey writer, I know collecting eggs all the time isn't realistic, luckily I've not had this problem yet, it happened a few times but I think only when they got crushed accidentally.

I reckon this is the reason some people build a rolling egg laying box where eggs roll to the back as soon as they are laid and stop any getting at them.
Been thinking about that.. have any plans? ..not for the weekend, just a rolling egg laying box. Used to be an architectural drawer back before the advent of computers. Believe it or Not, 'WE' used a sharp pencil, a T-square.. and some brain power.

Make sure they have plenty of calcium. Even if you use layer feed add egg shells and oyster shells on the side.
Yeah, could be a problem. Winter is gone hopefully.. Crushed Oyster Shell is my go too, but winter crimps my style. I'm chicken.

Back
Top Bottom