Egg eating chickens

capsaicin receptors or not...you will have to prove to me that they will eat hot sauce.
They love left over pasta...but, not with...spaghetti sauce.:mad:

You would think, but I just checked and except for a few mustard spots the nest was empty, just the straw. However, Pigeon (slightly nuts EE) was parked by the waterer and had water dribbled all over🤣

My egg eater is also an Easter Egger. Coincidence? Hmmmm. I doubt it will work for long but I caught my EEEE in the act and wouldn't let her finish. I kept pushing (certainly not forceful at all and never intended to hurt her) her out of the coop while I cleaned up and she's been doing better. I don't see it lasting though. I will have to keep a very close eye on her and collect eggs all throughout the day. This pullet is my daughter's favorite and we nearly lost her before from an infection, so she's been babied A LOT. I feed Purina Flock Raiser which is higher protein and they have oyster shell, so I don't know what else to do. About to go check the nest now. I've got a broody silkie in the other nest and everyone is terrified of her, so the lowest pecking order pullet lays beside the silkie to avoid said EEEE from harassing her.

I was right. Today was the day, my Marans egg had been eaten. Wierd thing is that she doesn't eat eggs that are the same as hers (she and 2 others lay light green eggs and they only eat the Calico Princess light brown egg and Marans dark brown egg). Luckily the Calico Princess usually lays early morning or right at sun rise, so if there no egg when I let them out, I can circle back around after checking on chicks and letting the ducks out and she'll be finishing up laying by then, and I can collect her egg.

Last edited:
capsaicin receptors or not...you will have to prove to me that they will eat hot sauce.
They love left over pasta...but, not with...spaghetti sauce.:mad:

My guess is there's something else in your sauce they don't like?

"Chili peppers produce the pungent vanilloid compound capsaicin, which offers protection from predatory mammals. Birds are indifferent to the pain-producing effects of capsaicin and therefore serve as vectors for seed dispersal. " - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11853675 (oddly they were experimenting to see if they could get chicken receptors to fire on capsaicin...)

How do you feel about trying the roll out box with attempting to hatch eggs? (Silkies) Just collect and then return to a setting nest box?

Not sure how that would work actually. I don't let my hens set and don't have a roll out box either, so can't experiment either way.

My guess is there's something else in your sauce they don't like?

"Chili peppers produce the pungent vanilloid compound capsaicin, which offers protection from predatory mammals. Birds are indifferent to the pain-producing effects of capsaicin and therefore serve as vectors for seed dispersal. " - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11853675 (oddly they were experimenting to see if they could get chicken receptors to fire on capsaicin...)

Not sure how that would work actually. I don't let my hens set and don't have a roll out box either, so can't experiment either way.

..."my guess"....

A much different response than ...."Not True".

A much different response than ...."Not True".
Maybe you are referring to my 'not true'
Not true.
which was in response to your post about feeding egg shells.
1585742217499.png

the fake egg does not work, nor ddi the mustard, boy was that a mess, but I tried something another zoologist told me that works with their ostrich, I built nesting boxes apart from each other they are 100 percent closed in even in the front but what I did fro the front was use like a grass skirt type thing. the other birds cannot see who is in there and they go to another next. I also put some store bought eggs in each one and all the eggs are still there. they lay their eggs right next to them. day 3 I am getting all my eggs and none have been broken. I hope it stays this way. I better add, the store bought eggs are tiny white with and x on them and all my chickens lay brown or blue eggs and all are large

Last edited:
the fake egg does not work, nor ddi the mustard, boy was that a mess, but I tried something another zoologist told me that works with their ostrich, I built nesting boxes apart from each other they are 100 percent closed in even in the front but what I did fro the front was use like a grass skirt type thing. the other birds cannot see who is in there and they go to another next. I also put some store bought eggs in each one and all the eggs are still there. they lay their eggs right next to them. day 3 I am getting all my eggs and none have been broken. I hope it stays this way. I better add, the store bought eggs are tiny white with and x on them and all my chickens lay brown or blue eggs and all are large
Sorry about the mustard thing, obviously did not work for me either. Can’t for the life of me where I heard about it but I was duped!

Back
Top Bottom