Egg goo in nest, chicken “off”

Cedargrove

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
This afternoon my hen (adopted but I think around 2-3 years old?) was a little stand-offish from the flock and a little droopy-tailed. I gave her some yogurt and a little b vitamin when I noticed her acting like this.
She went into the coop to nest about an hour ago. She’s now on the roost for the night with the others but the contents of egg are in the nest minus the shell. Advice please!

No shell at all? No bits and pieces? Is the yolk intact or is it broken? Take your hen off the roost and examine her. This could be a critical health issue if she is having a watery discharge and is still droopy and holding her tail low. There could be a second egg trying to come out.

Bring her inside and stand her on a counter. Check her over and answer those questions. If you see any sign of runny yolk coming out of her vent, it's very serious. She will need an antibiotic if she has had an egg break inside.

At the very least, she has a calcium problem. She needs a strong supplement for a couple of days, and one tablet of around 600mg right now if there is another egg stuck. This is what I recommend as it absorbs most easily. One a day directly into her beak. She will swallow, no problem.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

No shell at all? No bits and pieces? Is the yolk intact or is it broken? Take your hen off the roost and examine her. This could be a critical health issue if she is having a watery discharge and is still droopy and holding her tail low. There could be a second egg trying to come out.

Bring her inside and stand her on a counter. Check her over and answer those questions. If you see any sign of runny yolk coming out of her vent, it's very serious. She will need an antibiotic if she has had an egg break inside.

At the very least, she has a calcium problem. She needs a strong supplement for a couple of days, and one tablet of around 600mg right now if there is another egg stuck. This is what I recommend as it absorbs most easily. One a day directly into her beak. She will swallow, no problem.View attachment 3385130
Ok just gave one of these. Taill feathers up and nothing coming out of the vent,

Good. If she is acting her old self tomorrow, give her one tablet of calcium each day until her eggs are coming out consistently with a good shell, perhaps a week or so.
How soon can I give the next dose? Do I need to wait 24 hours? Thank you so much!

Give it now. How is her behavior this morning? Has she perked up?
She seemed fine this morning when I let them out. Tail up, walking about, pecking the ground. No egg yet. And nothing weird in the coop (egg or poop wise ) from anyone overnight .

Back
Top Bottom