Egg got cracked day 26

Pics

Alburner

Chirping
Jun 27, 2019
I have three Ancona eggs about to hatch. I was candeling because I’m watching for lockdown. The air cells are a hair bigger than I want so I’m trying to give as much time as possible. I thought there was internal pipping but I was wrong just shadows. My loving nine month old husky decided to jump the gate and see what I was up to. As he did this he slipped and knocked into me. We tumbled and the egg hit the table and now the top is busted off. I put Neosporin on the membrane and covered it with a warm wet paper towel. Miraculously there was no blood and the baby is still moving. I could see the bill at the top but still no pip. What should I do????

Thank you so much! I lifted the membrane last night. It pipped open right after I posted the picture. His little bill is sticking out a bit now. I keep adding Neosporin and have the temp at 98 and the humidity at 70. Should I change anything else? I also put him in a cut egg carton to keep his head up thank you so much again for the advice!

just for my own information because I'm hatching today too and you never know what can happen, do you put anything over the big hole?

I usually don't, although some people use a technique called 'capping' in this situation. That's where you crack open an infertile egg and place the end of the shell over the hole to cover it.

I agree!

One thing I would add, if it did internally pip, I’d try to lift the membrane near the hole with some tweezers, to make sure it isn’t suffocating the nostrils. The membrane looks pretty taut, so I’d personally try to get a little air under it. Away from any blood vessels, or course.

Sounds good. I don’t think a carton is necessary, unless it just makes you feel better.

Once the blood vessels recede, you should be able to open the membrane a little more. Just do it gradually and wait for him to try to start attempting to get out on his own. It could be like this for another day or even two!

Don’t stress though, we’re here for ya!

Sure hope this little one makes it out safe and sound.
I think it will, since it pipped the blood vessels have gone down quite a bit. And it’s moving I just plan to touch it as little as possible but there is no blood and his movement seems pretty good. I’m kinda trying to talk my self into being calm about it if you can’t tell. Lol

Back
Top Bottom