Day 26 update

Nikki211

In the Brooder
May 2, 2023
So it’s day 26 the ducks moving in the egg so I’m not so worried but I’ve candled it maybe 5 mins ago ( even though everyone’s got different options while candling duck eggs in lockdown) but I’m just going with it as I’m a little bit nervous about it not pippin . In 3rd picture I don’t know what it is it looks like a shadow but when I turned it to the side it disappeared and then when it was up right it came back and then the duck moved but the shadow just stayed like that if you know what I mean . I’m just typing everything I’m thinking of to try get as much information about it ?. But then there’s more space in the egg but it doesn’t look like the air sack is that normal ? And I know I don’t have the best bator but all I could get my hands on for the first try , I might also do lockdown on day 27 which is tomorrow and not touch the egg but still candle it’s at night to see if there’s progress

Attachments

• EFF9D795-6F7E-4CF4-8E65-86374C6C61DF.jpeg
    EFF9D795-6F7E-4CF4-8E65-86374C6C61DF.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 3E544FB3-D3CC-4DAD-BCD3-192A4DF48305.jpeg
    3E544FB3-D3CC-4DAD-BCD3-192A4DF48305.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 3444CC96-C90A-4072-AAD9-5F7BEE0BD04A.jpeg
    3444CC96-C90A-4072-AAD9-5F7BEE0BD04A.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 723B4390-0525-48B7-8B5F-98CFABE3299B.jpeg
    723B4390-0525-48B7-8B5F-98CFABE3299B.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 0FE8FD5E-BC05-46CE-A31D-0040D8AAFF27.jpeg
    0FE8FD5E-BC05-46CE-A31D-0040D8AAFF27.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 142D698F-8040-46A3-B617-9F3018A062AD.jpeg
    142D698F-8040-46A3-B617-9F3018A062AD.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Looks like baby is another day till internal
I candle in lockdown until I see external pip
It won’t hurt the baby but I do recommend not to pick the egg up at this point. We don’t want to confuse baby from his position
So leave the egg where it is in bstor and candle from there
Once baby is in the air cell you will be able to see it
Then mark the time and if baby doesn’t external within 24 hours you can make a pin hole above the beak in the air cell and leave it be another 24 hours. Often they still pip on their own but it gives them extra time not to run out of air. Your air cell looks good and will dip down even more yet as baby makes the pip

Looks like baby is another day till internal
I candle in lockdown until I see external pip
It won’t hurt the baby but I do recommend not to pick the egg up at this point. We don’t want to confuse baby from his position
So leave the egg where it is in bstor and candle from there
Once baby is in the air cell you will be able to see it
Then mark the time and if baby doesn’t external within 24 hours you can make a pin hole above the beak in the air cell and leave it be another 24 hours. Often they still pip on their own but it gives them extra time not to run out of air. Your air cell looks good and will dip down even more yet as baby makes the pip
I really hope it pips soon ! Now my only worry is it having to much humidity as it randomly just spiked but it was fine all along so I cracked the bator open a little more till it went down .
And the scary part for me is making a safety hole if needed in case I do something wrong or make it too big as my hands shake when I’m nervous !
But I’m guessing hopefully 24hours from now hopefully should see an internal pip

I really hope it pips soon ! Now my only worry is it having to much humidity as it randomly just spiked but it was fine all along so I cracked the bator open a little more till it went down .
And the scary part for me is making a safety hole if needed in case I do something wrong or make it too big as my hands shake when I’m nervous !
But I’m guessing hopefully 24hours from now hopefully should see an internal pip
Also your an absolute saver with this advice !

Also your an absolute saver with this advice !
I just take a tac and scratch back and forth in a small area just above where I see the beak till it softens enough to poke in
I don’t make it big and that way I’m not having to bother the baby and wet membrane ect
I’m glad I can help
Your vents should be fully open for lockdown

I just take a tac and scratch back and forth in a small area just above where I see the beak till it softens enough to poke in
I don’t make it big and that way I’m not having to bother the baby and wet membrane ect
I’m glad I can help
Your vents should be fully open for lockdown
Only got a hole at the top of the lid ( I’ll keep open tonight and the rest of lockdown) I’ve had it covered with a wet cotton pad to regulate the humidity as I’m in a student accommodation and can humidity can either be dry or wet so it’s a bit of a pain but moving out next week.. yay! ( kinda felt lonely that’s where the baby duck idea came from ) humility rn is 70% and hopefully it doesn’t go below that during the night , but I’ll post an update tomorrow night

Back
Top Bottom