Egg got small crack.........what should I do????

sookiesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
I have a Silkie sitting on 7 fertilized eggs I got from someone. I decided to try to candle them yesterday for the second time. They're due starting Aug. 31. Me and mom used a toilet paper roll and a flashlight. Well, when mom was holding egg, she dropped it and it went through the cardboard roll and landed on the flashlight. There's a small crack, but the membrane was not distrubed. There's no leaking or anything like that. Mom put a piece of tape on it. Should I do anything else? I hate to distroy the egg if the baby is good, but if there's no chance, I guess I may not have a choice. Any help is very much appreciated!!! This is my first time doing this and just letting Pippie do what Mother Nature is telling her to. She's doing an awesome job and so hope she gets a baby out of this. Thanks again!!!!
Natasha

I use parrafin wax on mine and they all hatched!!
thumbsup.gif

Sealing the crack with candle wax can be effective. Whatever you use, keep an eye on this egg. If bacteria gain entrance to the embryo, they can cause the egg to go bad. Good luck.

Ive used clear nail polish and had no problems hatching a few cracked eggs. If its just a tiny, hairline crack, you might not have to do anything. Bacteria is a bad thing though, so sealing the crack is a good idea. Wax (bee's wax may be best if you have any since it has no additives like perfumes or dyes) is a good option and lots of people have great success with it.

Good luck!

Quote:
Well, I have had some people say that there are chemicles in the polish that arent good, but I have had NO problems with it myself. I think its good because it wont melt or rub off and gives a good seal on the crack. Also havent had any problems with chicks breaking through it to hatch. I figure if its safe for a pregnant woman to use, why not an egg? I think its safe and have the chickens to prove it!
wink.png
Just use a thin layer and blow it dry with your breath, and slip it back under the hen. Ive used it on eggs under a broody and eggs in an incubator and had excellent results.

You can use candle wax too though.

Back
Top Bottom