Egg hoarding duck! Requested pic of Mallard/Pekin cross pg 3

That's funny! She must have taken lessons from your son and army crawls on into those eggs!
wink.png

Quote:
D..Did I read that right?!

You DON'T eat the duck eggs?!!
ep.gif

Ahhhh! Someone call some authority or something!

The yolks are like twice the size of chicken eggs!
lol.png

Big tasty duck eggs!! I would much rather have one nice duck egg for my breakfast!

Quote:
Mallard/Pekin cross??? Okay WoW, I need a pic of that duck! LOL

Laurie

Here she is! She is black with a white chest and other white markings, very heavy, and with green hi-lites on her head like a drake! The ducks with her are Hershey and Twinkie and that is a raggedy Nugget in the foreground!

5415_1119091638.jpg

Are you sure she's a cross? She looks just like my Black Swedish. They are heavy ducks with greenish cast to the head on both males and females. Mine lay tinted eggs too.

Yep she's a cross, came from Whitey's last eggs and the only drake she'd let near her was Emeril. These were her last hatch before she got egg bound and died one night.

Thank you! Whitey was an extremely large and heavy Pekin and laid huge eggs. She'd get egg bound and I'd bring her in wrap her in a warm towel and massage the eggs through. One night when I was out of town she crawled under a bush and died there, I felt so bad that I wasn't here for her.

My most favorite duck ever was a crested Pekin named Mrs. Sta-Puff. She also laid enormous eggs. Sadly she was a victim of a racoon that pried up the wire and devestated my duck coop this spring. That coop had been safe for a long time, but the brads holding the wire had worked loose with age. I still feel guilty about it. I should have notice that the coop was starting to show age.

We had Pekin/Mallard/Khaki crosses one year that looked a lot like her!
smile.png
One difference I noticed between the mixes and the Black Swedish was there were spots where the black wasn't as dark and some of them even had brown feathers. I see it in your duck too, especially in the face (I love her facial stripes!). One of my ducklings was also born with a white head, but she didn't survive into adulthood so I can't say whether it would have stayed that way or not.

Another fun mix: black runner father and khaki campbell mother. Thin, shapely ducks, heavily black-laced brown feathers, light brown eyes that glowed reddish in the sunlight. Don't know how consistently that would be produced, but all of the ducklings out of those two looked like that.

You have some cute ducks there, WoW! I love your mix. She is gorgeous. The Runners are too. Wouldn't it be cool to mate your girl that looks sort of like a Swedish with the Runner and get a three way cross?!? I would love to see that combination.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom