egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

big_smile.png
Another Great Egg

Last edited:
Quote:
ok so i need to keep her in a dark place for a few days? she is still hanging out some, did your hang out some too after words? i would like all the information you did on yours please.

Sorry I disappeared after my first post. I had to get some stuff done. I only cut enough to get the egg out. I was home alone, so I just held her on my lap with my arm and cut with the razor with my hands. It wasn't easy. I just used a sewing needle and cotton sewing thread, but I soaked it in alcohol to make it sanitary.

I don't recall it hanging out much afterward, although she was somewhat swollen back there. I remember having to hang onto the tissue to stitch it to keep her from sucking it back in.

I kept her in a darkened crate for a few days. I seemed to remember reading on here somewhere that if you keep them in the dark, they won't lay eggs, although if she's already got one "in the chute" then you can't stop it from coming. Not laying in the dark kinda makes sense because they're egg laying is directly affected by shortened days...so why not stop in the dark?

You're sooooo lucky to have a vet who will work on chickens and at such a reasonable rate! I'm glad they were able to help!

UNLESS YOUR A VET OR SUPER EXPERIENCED CHICKEN OWNER NEVER TRY THIS YOURSELF!

thumbsup.gif

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

Another Great Egg Again Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Just found this thread tonight. What a story! Congratulations to you and Rosie and all of your amazing BYC helpers that responded to your posts! This is what BYC is all about
big_smile.png

Jeez, this thread has kept me up on the west coast till 4am...

What a victory!!! Against odds, you sought out as much information as you could and made the best decisions for you and Rosie.

You win-- you have your pet AND eggs. Congratulations!!

celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom