Egg laying declining šŸ˜«

OhanaQuailers

Hatching
Oct 21, 2020
We have a small quail farm (approx 60 birds ranging in age from 3 months to 2 years) ~ we have had success with the birds in smaller coups.. all females laying, resulting in about 30-40 eggs per day.
We decided that a more open aviary would be the ā€œkinderā€ thing for them and proceeded to build a 10ā€™ x 12ā€™ quail mansion.... they have light, hiding places (grasses/plants), nesting boxes, a sand box, and hay to nestle into. Food is high protein, mealworms and shell is a regular dish.
The issue... down to 8 eggs a day šŸ˜¢
We allowed adjustment time for the move... now going into month 3. They are secure with further fencing around the aviary šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Hulp?! Lol we donā€™t know whatā€™s going on!

I have a couple of questions:
Have you found any eggs in any other spots but the nesting boxes? Like the hay?
Are they still free-range?
Have any birds died since the change?

what area are you in??? are you providing 16+ hours of light on a timer to offset the shorter days?? do you have an egg eater among them?? what percentage of your layers is over a year old?? my quail are in an aviary setting and several older ones are molting. I also do not provide consistent supplemental light.
itā€™s been a couple months since iā€™ve gotten eggs as well.

Quail donā€™t lay in the winter unless you provide supplemental lighting. Itā€™s not great to have no eggs but I think itā€™s good to give them a break so they can be more productive when they start up again, whether thatā€™s true or not laying eggs is certainly very taxing on these poor little birds.

I have a couple of questions:
Have you found any eggs in any other spots but the nesting boxes? Like the hay?
Are they still free-range?
Have any birds died since the change?

Theu seem to lay all over...they make nests in the hay or under the plants. They are as free range as they can be in the aviary (moreso than while Iā€™m the cages!) Maybe itā€™s too much freedom? since the move we had one of the older boys pass but no others *touch wood*

Also are other quails in together and is everyone okay with each others existence or is there lots of bullying? Stress can cause them not to lay.
Theyā€™re all in together.. it took a few days for the girls to sort things out.. but theyā€™re good now! Not so much bullying... I was capturing the bully and giving them cuddles lol šŸ˜‚ they caught on quick!

what area are you in??? are you providing 16+ hours of light on a timer to offset the shorter days?? do you have an egg eater among them?? what percentage of your layers is over a year old?? my quail are in an aviary setting and several older ones are molting. I also do not provide consistent supplemental light.
itā€™s been a couple months since iā€™ve gotten eggs as well.
We are in Hawaii... so no real change in temperature (mid 80s) or daylight to be honest. We did have molting due to adopting the older ones who were living in those tiny condo style cages. The feathers are mostly back and no more mites or bumble foot! Thank goodness. Our initial birds havenā€™t changed (no molting). Maybe we just need to hold off and wait šŸ˜Š

Quail donā€™t lay in the winter unless you provide supplemental lighting. Itā€™s not great to have no eggs but I think itā€™s good to give them a break so they can be more productive when they start up again, whether thatā€™s true or not laying eggs is certainly very taxing on these poor little birds.

I agree! Itā€™s a tough job popping these things out every day! We wouldnā€™t want too lolwe did worry about the prolapsing but donā€™t seem to have large eggs or ones that lay two. Hopefully both of ours will enjoy the break and come back stronger than ever! šŸ˜Š

I agree! Itā€™s a tough job popping these things out every day! We wouldnā€™t want too lolwe did worry about the prolapsing but donā€™t seem to have large eggs or ones that lay two. Hopefully both of ours will enjoy the break and come back stronger than ever! šŸ˜Š
We also donā€™t really have winter like in the mainland! Lol our lowest would be mid 50s in the middle of winter.

Back
Top Bottom