Egg laying, non flying, breeds

You should just put netting over your pens and then have whatever breed you want.I never liked wi g clipping ,flight being a chickens best defence option.What size is your coop and run?For laying production reds or sexlinks .Medium size birds and great layers .If I kept only one breed those would be it.Chicken killing dogs don't get to run free here.

I agree with good fencing.

Since we now know there are dogs....That kill chickens....living on the same property as chickens the best thing for all involved is a good solid run for the birds.

I have dogs that would surely kill chickens as they are all young and not trained to ignore them.
I have chickens as well.
I keep them separately. Always separated. The dogs have a run the birds have a run and I still have a patch of yard big enough for a garden. :cool:

I agree with the above statements that most chickens can fly. But there are some that fly less than others... like Buff Orps as mentioned, and also Rhode Island Reds (in my opinion. The one I had never flew). Also Rhode Island Reds are pretty good layers, so I would recommend.

Back
Top Bottom