pusbag6

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 12, 2011
St. Louis Mo
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all,

I've been raising chickens for decades and have never seen this before. I recently moved to small town and took my small coop with me. I finally got it up and running. I grabbed 2 full sized birds in June. Neither are laying. It's been almost 5 months. They came from a farm in a 10x10 cage with 30 other birds. Now they have a big warm coop and and safe run. I've changed their diet a few times. During the summer they got frozen watermelon, essentially, they are spoiled. No eggs. They're not roosters if that's what you're thinking. I've put fake eggs in the nesting boxes as well. I live in the midwest so there's plenty of sun during summer. I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing. I've alway had great success with laying chickens. Any advice would be most appreciated.

It can take chickens up to 8 months to start laying, theres nothing wrong most likely just late bloomers. It probably doesn't help that its winter either, egg production slows down in winter time. Something else that could be happening is that they could be laying in a secret place, look around for eggs in the run. Good luck! Btw, my hens took around 7 months to start laying so it's totally natural.

They were full size when I got them so I assumed they were at least 2 months. I shouldn't be so impatient, I was just hoping they would have a few good weeks before winter to lay. I guess I'll have to wait. Crazy Ladies.

They were full size when I got them so I assumed they were at least 2 months.
Chickens don't really get to full size until 6 months old, and even after that they can gain in stature.
Am wondering if you got sold some 'lemons'.
What all and how exactly are you feeding them?
Do you free range?

Back
Top Bottom