Egg Lockdown Preperation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KadeSilkies21, Aug 18, 2018.

1. KadeSilkies21

KadeSilkies21 Chirping

Jul 13, 2017
    Hey all, since i joined BYC last year, i've hatched plenty of eggs. I incubated 'em all in my self-turning tray incubator, and when going into lockdown on the last few days, I would make sure the humidity and all that is right, then leave them alone till hatching.

Recently i read an article saying that during lockdown, the eggs should be taken out of their trays and left on the floor of the incubator? I have never had many problems in the past by leaving the eggs in their trays, but i'm wondering does removing them from their trays during lockdown make a difference or improve hatchrate? Also, How do you prepare for lockdown? Do you put a towel (etc) beneath the eggs to prevent slipperyness and splayed legs?

Thanks!!

KikiLeigh02 and Pugsabi like this.
  2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    I lay my eggs on their sides for hatching. I have hatched in trays on accident before.
    I use drawer liners in my bator.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    I prefer to remove turners and trays and anything that may hurt the chicks or cause problems and accidents when they hatch. As for positioning them, I let them lie down and hatch "naturally". I never put anything down for the chicks as I usually have the water wells for humidity below the eggs and don't want to mess up the humidity levels.

KikiLeigh02 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: