Egg piped 34 hours ago..Should i help?... Chick is FINE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Apr 27, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    It is the only one left should i intervene.. Any good Youtube videos ?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I would help if it where me after that long. I have done it in the past and some chicks do OK. If it's still peeping or moving it may survive. It is does not it was not meant to be.

3. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Should i help break out of the top part of the egg where the aircell is?

4. RHewitt

Yes you can use a spoon and lighlty tap around the egg just like they do when zipping and then pull the top open and slid the chick out. Leave it in the bator to rest and dry out.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I start at the top where the air cell is that way you can see the chick if its dead or a alive you can also see if there are still viens and stuff , do tiny pieces at a ttime .

6. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I would just start by slowly peeling away the shell around the pip. If you see that it is still alive and you can't see any blood vessels in the membrane, then you could remove a little more at a time. If you see the blood vessels in the membrane still, stop, that means that they have not all died back yet, and your chick could bleed to death. Try this and let us know what you see.

7. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Should i just do it in a table? Do I need any extra heat while i do this?

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If you're wanting opinions, here's mine: Don't help. If it's not strong enough to hatch.....oh never mind. No one seems to listen anyway.

BEST of luck to you! I truly do hope you're happy with your results!!

9. GuppyLure

GuppyLure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I posted pictures and info about my experience helping a chick hatch under this thread if you want to check it out: First chick is hatching. Humidity too high?

Here is a really good YouTube video to see the process of helping an egg hatch:

10. RHewitt

Do it where it's convenient but do ot quickly and then put it back in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by