Egg recall on the News stations every day now.

I had just stopped selling eggs and was reducing my flock, when this hit the fan. Neighbor called and said I had to sell her some eggs. There was no way she was buying from a store. So I can't cull anymore just yet. I need to down size though due to health. Maybe I should just sell her a few hens and she can raise her own hens for eggs.

Guess we'll be eating eggs for dinner instead of chicken.

Quote:
ON...you wanted me to come say what I think. I honestly haven't been paying much attention to the news about it lately. I know it will be like every other "major disaster".....big news until something new comes along to take it's place.

The last I heard about it it involved two egg farms both either owned or operated by the same guy who has been in trouble in the past for issues. All the feed and birds came from the same source.......Maybe he's the problem.....not the method. There are crooks and people who don't give a hoot how they operate in every business......agriculture is no different.

Quote:
Katy, I agree look no further than Toyota's cover-up of their cars' problems. This too shall pass, just as long as it doesn't lead to regulation on the small guy. BTW. I assume all the people in Haiti are happy, living in new homes and everything is just fine down there as I haven't seen anything on the nightly news lately. But then, that was 4 or five disasters ago.
smile.png
(I'm being facetious in case you missed the irony.)

Quote:
Katy, I agree look no further than Toyota's cover-up of their cars' problems. This too shall pass, just as long as it doesn't lead to regulation on the small guy. BTW. I assume all the people in Haiti are happy, living in new homes and everything is just fine down there as I haven't seen anything on the nightly news lately. But then, that was 4 or five disasters ago.
smile.png
(I'm being facetious in case you missed the irony.)

I always find it rather humorous that what is great for you one year is the thing that's going to kill you the next. Remember the bad press that eggs across the board got for a long time....we were supposed to limit our intake of eggs because of they were going to raise your cholesteral levels too high and kill you? Now they say that wasn't true and that eggs are good for you.

Not that long ago they were shouting praises for soy products, but now that's what's going to kill you.

I just pretty much let it all go......sooner or later everything they say will do a 180 and be the exact opposite, so I don't waste my time worrying about it.

The main thing that upsets me is the amount of mis-information that gets flung around and then stays out there as fact.

Quote:
Good point about the guy hat has been in trouble in the past. Quite possibly negligence and greed are at the root of this. Again why I advocate small to midsize farms.. SO when something does go wrong the consequence is not so wide spred.

Regardless I still do not like the way those birds are pushed so hard, without the antibotics and vaccines they would all up and dye because of the conditions that are so unnatural.

I wonder if this could even happen with smaller flocks that see the light of day.
ON

Quote:
Good point about the guy hat has been in trouble in the past. Quite possibly negligence and greed are at the root of this. Again why I advocate small to midsize farms.. SO when something does go wrong the consequence is not so wide spred.

Regardless I still do not like the way those birds are pushed so hard, without the antibotics and vaccines they would all up and dye because of the conditions that are so unnatural.

I wonder if this could even happen with smaller flocks that see the light of day.
ON

If the source turns out to be the feed which is what it's sounding like it probably is, it could happen in the smallest of flocks too if a feed source becomes contaminated. This instance happens to involve 2 large farms instead of many small ones. Could happen to either.

Quote:
You may be right it could happen to a smaller flock.. Though personally I think it is unlikely.... Healthy birds, that are not stressed, living in natural conditions and a biologically diverse flock have a functioning immune system and are naturally resilient, as mother nature intended.
I feel it is our tinkering, and pushing for production so we can have .97 eggs and still get the fat cats a fast buck for their pockets..

I never recall hearing about some one getting Salmonella from farm eggs.???. And most farms have plenty of rats and mice. !!

ON

Back
Top Bottom