Egg Size Question - Pekins

CrystaBub

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley
My Pekin sometimes lays enormous eggs and, when she does, they are usually double yolks. I can’t find anything on the web to help me understand why this happens, if it’s abnormal, if there’s an underlying health issue and should I be concerned...? Pic comparing my Runner, Ancona and Pekin eggs. Thoughts? Thanks!
D535F61B-BE8E-436E-B8BC-FF043FEBEA37.jpeg

Last edited:
Me too then this past summer after my goose hadn't laid an egg in three years I go into the Runner Buff house and find a goose size egg laying in the shavings thought for sure Missy was laying again till I opened it and found it was double yolker, Missy never laid any double yolkers. So I immediately went out to inspect all bottoms to make sure they were intact, thankfully they were and haven't had another whopper since. I'd rather them go through henopause than lay something like that.

Ducks will do just fine on a good quality chicken layer feed, I wouldn't give them anything extra as the Mazuri feed is a pretty good feed. I wouldn't worry about her laying double yolkers, She's still adjusting to the whole laying thing.

Me too then this past summer after my goose hadn't laid an egg in three years I go into the Runner Buff house and find a goose size egg laying in the shavings thought for sure Missy was laying again till I opened it and found it was double yolker, Missy never laid any double yolkers. So I immediately went out to inspect all bottoms to make sure they were intact, thankfully they were and haven't had another whopper since. I'd rather them go through henopause than lay something like that.
henopause! :lau

Back
Top Bottom