OrlandoMama

Chirping
Jun 21, 2021
My girls are 20weeks and 4 days and just last week I had at least one of them start laying but I think at least two now(light brahma and one of my rhode island reds). Both of their hips/bone structures were of a laying hen and wide enough and their wattles are super bright red. I heard one of my girls(light brahma) singing this morning and she made her nest to lay in a box but then she’ll suddenly get up randomly at some points run out of the coop to get a bite of food while grunting and then immediately run back to the nest and then keep trying to lay. She’ll sing again to no avail. Is she just maybe so inexperienced and doesn’t really know what to do? I don’t want her to be egg bound this early in life. I love my girls with all of my heart and she just looks really uncomfortable. It’s been a few hours and she keeps trying on her nest and keeps grunting. Should I just leave her be and just wait and see at this point because it’s so early?

My girls are 20weeks and 4 days and just last week I had at least one of them start laying but I think at least two now(light brahma and one of my rhode island reds). Both of their hips/bone structures were of a laying hen and wide enough and their wattles are super bright red. I heard one of my girls(light brahma) singing this morning and she made her nest to lay in a box but then she’ll suddenly get up randomly at some points run out of the coop to get a bite of food while grunting and then immediately run back to the nest and then keep trying to lay. She’ll sing again to no avail. Is she just maybe so inexperienced and doesn’t really know what to do? I don’t want her to be egg bound this early in life. I love my girls with all of my heart and she just looks really uncomfortable. It’s been a few hours and she keeps trying on her nest and keeps grunting. Should I just leave her be and just wait and see at this point because it’s so early?
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Back
Top Bottom