Egg song but no eggs

Oreoandhens

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
Bedford, United Kingdom
So I keep hearing the egg song from one of our girls, not sure who yet. I’ve heard this a few mornings in a row but no eggs? The one time I opened the nest box and our rooster was in there. What does this mean?

I would keep an eye out for an egg and check any hiding spots to make sure the egg isn’t in a corner or under something.
Some roosters will sit in a nesting box, I personally think the rooster is just checking the spot.

:frow Welcome from New Orleans. Do you go out to check for eggs when you hear the egg song, or does some time pass first?
Is it possible that one or more of your flock is eating the eggs?
Is it possible that one of the hens is bring the eggs to a secret place to accumulate a clutch to brood on?
You will probably have to spend a day outside watching your flock to really find out what is happening.
How old are these chickens? Are they at POL yet?

:frow Welcome from New Orleans. Do you go out to check for eggs when you hear the egg song, or does some time pass first?
Is it possible that one or more of your flock is eating the eggs?
Is it possible that one of the hens is bring the eggs to a secret place to accumulate a clutch to brood on?
You will probably have to spend a day outside watching your flock to really find out what is happening.
How old are these chickens? Are they at POL yet?
Yes I do sometimes. I have never seen residue of egg or anything like that so fingers crossed that isn’t the case. Some of them are POL. Out of the 7 hens we only had two lay last summer due to age. I am however thinking one of them has become very mature looking recently to perhaps she is getting ready to lay?

I would keep an eye out for an egg and check any hiding spots to make sure the egg isn’t in a corner or under something.
Some roosters will sit in a nesting box, I personally think the rooster is just checking the spot.
I saw one of the girls sit on the fake eggs and she sang the egg song as soon as she come off but still no egg so I presume eggs soon? Our rooster is a true gent so that would explain it

Back
Top Bottom