Egg Spoilage

Lisamairey

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 29, 2014
A few questions for the group! I've read the thread about keeping the eggs on the counter for weeks and having them stay sound. What if, you find an egg somewhere in the coop where it shouldn't be? It's summer and hot. And I have no idea how long that egg has been there. The egg is warm to the touch...so it's been baking in the heat. (I threw it away...but I'm curious.)

And what if I go away for a weekend in the summer...are the two-day-old eggs in the coop any good?

And for those that are leaving their eggs on their kitchen counters...do you have air-conditioning? I don't. It's as hot inside as it is outside on most occasions. What's the rule on storing eggs when temps are in the 80s and 90s?

Thanks!

If you find an egg on the floor of the coop throw it away. You have no idea how long ago it was laid. Sure it could have been laid that day but I've also come across an egg while cleaning out the coop and after accidently breaking it with the pitchfork realize that it was very rotten from the smell.

Personally I would always put them in the refrigerator. If you go away ask someone to watch your chickens for you and give them the eggs as payment. I would go crazy not having someone checking on them to make sure none are injured or spilled their water.

Back
Top Bottom