Egg Stuck...

It would be good to keep it clean, as possible, to reduce the risk of infection. I usually cut the feathers off nearby to make it easier.
Ah yes, I did trim some the other day. Was getting so bad looked like she was dragging a ball of poop around. Not really sure how to proceed here...and I don't have any latex gloves. Her abdomen is very round and almost dragging on the ground. Trying to get some pics up but my phone is not downloading...

I usually trim the feathers around and under the vent as short as possible. (Besides making it easier to clean, it can help the area dry faster.) I sometimes use very diluted white vinegar. Paper towels work ok, but a cloth might be better.

Once she is clean, I would feel inside. Gloves with water-based lubricant is ideal, but sometimes people just wash and disinfectant their hands before and after and use saline or another solution they have on hand.

I usually trim the feathers around and under the vent as short as possible. (Besides making it easier to clean, it can help the area dry faster.) I sometimes use very diluted white vinegar. Paper towels work ok, but a cloth might be better.

Once she is clean, I would feel inside. Gloves with water-based lubricant is ideal, but sometimes people just wash and disinfectant their hands before and after and use saline or another solution they have on hand.
Ok, I'll give that a shot tomorrow as she's resting in her dark place at the moment.

has had egg binding for about a week now. Her vent seems to have a bulge
She's sitting a lot, walking like the penguin we all know and love and now has trouble standing
I am not sure its an egg. She has all the signs and what I could feel its oval shaped similar to the top of an egg. But no, not sure at all.
I felt the bump over the skin and external
Her abdomen is very round and almost dragging on the ground.
Does the abdomen also feel like it has fluid in it?
Is she able to poop?

From your description, sadly the symptoms sound like a reproductive disorder. Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis and Internal Laying are some common reproductive problems that laying hens can have.
A lot of times all you can do is offer supportive care. If the abdomen has fluid in it, sometimes that can be drained to give some relief, but often that is short lived.

Does the abdomen also feel like it has fluid in it?
Is she able to poop?

From your description, sadly the symptoms sound like a reproductive disorder. Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis and Internal Laying are some common reproductive problems that laying hens can have.
A lot of times all you can do is offer supportive care. If the abdomen has fluid in it, sometimes that can be drained to give some relief, but often that is short lived.

Really glad you contributed to this post. I gave her an (Inexperienced) external exam and what I've found so far;

1) She's still very active or tries to be, drinks and eats
2) Her poop is not frequent, not clumpy like normal poop more so elongated with some kind of dark green goo mixed in, watery (ish).
3) Her abdomen is VERY bloated, round and feels like a partially filled water balloon and is noticeably large
4) Her vent no longer has the hard feel to it like an egg crown as it had previously
5) She wobbled around and often loses balance
6) No egg was felt during my massaging of her abdomen

Its killing me and I'm exhausted from this. She's alert and really wants to be a normal chicken, has a great drive to her but this issue is holding her back.

If you have a vet that can help you it would be good, but often that is not an option.

You could try draining the fluid from the abdomen to see if that makes a difference.
I would also consider giving her antibiotics to help with any infection. Baytril or Amoxicillin would be good, either one can be ordered online.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/amoxicillin-250mg-jar100-fish-mox

After you drain her, I would also think about using a detox as described by @coach723 in this POST. I have not done this, but would be willing to use the treatment for a pet hen in this condition.

Yes, hens with reproductive problems can have a great drive to be with the flock. IF she is not being picked on, then I would leave her with the flock. If she's picked on a large crate/dog kennel works well to put in the run so she is "with" them. A run beside the others works too.

Poop, would be longer/thinner since there is swelling/bloat. I've had hens that had masses and a slight bit of fluid in the abdomen, I notice their poop was thinner too - I always "assumed" it was because the intestines were being pressed/restricted. After opening them up, you could clearly see there just was no room for waste to really pass effectively unless it was watery or thin.

I would keep her hydrated and eating. Mine like scrambled eggs with a few chopped grapes and wet feed.

I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this:hugs I wish I had better answers for you. All you can do is try. I baby mine along until they stop eating, then I know it's time for them.

One of my hens, RubyRuberton, has had egg binding for about a week now. Her vent seems to have a bulge so that's good I think as she's managed to move it slightly. I have given her Tums bits, Salt Bath, Secluded and given Electrolytes to her water. She wants to be active and is still eating well and drinking water. I'm out of ideas on how to fix her before its too late. I even consulted my vet who just kind of smiled at me with a 'gaf' face. She's sitting a lot, walking like the penguin we all know and love and now has trouble standing. I'm out of options with my experience as to how to proceed...need some help.

RedSexLink
4 Years Old
Solitary Coop, 3 X 6
Layer Pellets, Greens
KY jelly or even olive oil put up her vent. More Tums.

Back
Top Bottom