egg turners and position of eggs for hatching

sueandthe6

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2014
southeast Pa
so a friend and I are hatching out some imperials- supposed to be dual purpose meaties. She's doing the hatching and I get them after. The first round she left them in the turner but turned it off. She still had a couple chicks get feet stuck. They were ok in the end but we talked about taking it out. However- IN the turner- the eggs are upright. Obviously if we take the turner out- they will then be on their side. Is this going to be an issue for hatching? I did read somewhere to look for the lowest point of the air cell and I guess that should be on the down side when they are taken out of the turner... but I have no clue what "the lowest point of the air cell" actually means. Anyone care to share thoughts?

Personally I do not go for any particular way when I put them in lock down and just lay them on their sides.
As soon as the first chick hatches everyone gets moved about in the incubator. So even if you have placed them all with most air up they get moved anyway.

Last edited:
Eggs hatch naturally on their sides in nests. The only reason commercial hatcheries incubate them upright is to save space. When you lay them on their sides for hatching, the dipped down side of the air cell should be on top. Usually the egg will roll that way on its own. But even if it doesn't, things usually work out okay.

Lowest point of air cell isn't so obvious and isn't really too important if you can't tell the day You take them out of the turner to lay them down.
I took these eggs out yesterday.
These first two pictures are the same egg.
Do you see the one with the blue lines? How the top blue line is a little bit more to the right than the bottom blue line?

That is the lower side of the air cell.
PXL_20230411_011803490.jpg
Screenshot_20230410-201849.png

When the air cell draws down it's going to look like this:
In this next picture you're going to see just how much it draws down/ very obvious lower side of the air cell.

Screenshot_20230410-201925.png

Lowest point of air cell isn't so obvious and isn't really too important if you can't tell the day You take them out of the turner to lay them down.
I took these eggs out yesterday.
These first two pictures are the same egg.
Do you see the one with the blue lines? How the top blue line is a little bit more to the right than the bottom blue line?

That is the lower side of the air cell.View attachment 3463021View attachment 3463022

When the air cell draws down it's going to look like this:
In this next picture you're going to see just how much it draws down/ very obvious lower side of the air cell.

View attachment 3463025
thank you!!! this is amazingly helpful.

Back
Top Bottom