Egg yolk colored poop

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
One of my hens is almost a year old and this winter she hasn’t laid any eggs. I think the last two eggs she laid were both soft shell eggs. She doesn’t try to lay in the nesting box anymore so i figured she took a little bit of a break for winter. About a week ago she was very lethargic and pumping her butt like she wanted to lay an egg. I gave her a calcium citrate tablet and she was fine the following days but no egg. Recently when it’s nice out and she’s free ranging with the other chickens, she sits under the rose bush and closes her eyes for a little bit which can be normal. She’s eating and drinking fine. Today I went out to do a nightly check and i noticed this in the coop and run. Her poop looks like dried cooked egg yolk and is very runny, it’s also on her butt feathers. I have no idea what this could be. Edit: The last egg she laid was on Jan 5 and the picture is what it looked like

Attachments

• 525120D1-0594-4B00-9D9B-5416CB9A64DD.jpeg
    525120D1-0594-4B00-9D9B-5416CB9A64DD.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 33
  • C5F936F7-D349-4118-B215-E97F7379A8F0.jpeg
    C5F936F7-D349-4118-B215-E97F7379A8F0.jpeg
    637.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 563E0F5F-2B9C-4945-81DC-AD185599BE00.jpeg
    563E0F5F-2B9C-4945-81DC-AD185599BE00.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Is she a production breed by any chance? This is unfortunately the fate of many hens bred for egg production. I currently have a two-year old production breed with these symptoms.

The eggy poop does often point to a reproductive issue. It's not easy to pinpoint the exact nature of it though. I've been trying to treat my hen with antibiotics. One year, four different antibiotics, and she's the same. Well, not exactly the same. I did manage to cure her diarrhea with Pepto Bismol. But her issue remains unresolved.

That's usually the way of reproductive infections, and there are other conditions just as bad such as internal laying and cancer tumors. I'm not advocating doing nothing, but whatever you do may not produce results.

I suggest you continue the calcium citrate once a day for a few more days and see how that goes. It won't hurt anything. Meanwhile, you might work on obtaining an antibiotic such as amoxicillin in case you decide to treat for infection.

Is she a production breed by any chance? This is unfortunately the fate of many hens bred for egg production. I currently have a two-year old production breed with these symptoms.

The eggy poop does often point to a reproductive issue. It's not easy to pinpoint the exact nature of it though. I've been trying to treat my hen with antibiotics. One year, four different antibiotics, and she's the same. Well, not exactly the same. I did manage to cure her diarrhea with Pepto Bismol. But her issue remains unresolved.

That's usually the way of reproductive infections, and there are other conditions just as bad such as internal laying and cancer tumors. I'm not advocating doing nothing, but whatever you do may not produce results.

I suggest you continue the calcium citrate once a day for a few more days and see how that goes. It won't hurt anything. Meanwhile, you might work on obtaining an antibiotic such as amoxicillin in case you decide to treat for infection.
She could be. She’s what i think is a poorly bred barred rock, i got her from tractor supply. I might take her to the vet in the next couples days and see what they say and how she is doing. She’s the black one in the photo

Attachments

• A607B163-B105-461D-982F-B4267FF560DB.jpeg
    A607B163-B105-461D-982F-B4267FF560DB.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 13

The calcium citrate tablet is about the size of a dime, can i put the whole tablet in her through or should i crush it up?

What dose and brand of amoxicillin should i get And how to administer it/for how long

First, see if your Tractor Supply has it. Call them. TSC carries 500 mg of amoxicillin, and you will need to open the caps and divide in two. The dose for chickens is 250mg per day for ten days.

I use a little cube of bread dipped in olive oil and then use that to sop up the powder to make a 250mg dose. The chicken should gobble it right up. If not, pry the beak open and shove it inside.

If you can't get the amoxy locally, you can get it online. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/

First, see if your Tractor Supply has it. Call them. TSC carries 500 mg of amoxicillin, and you will need to open the caps and divide in two. The dose for chickens is 250mg per day for ten days.

I use a little cube of bread dipped in olive oil and then use that to sop up the powder to make a 250mg dose. The chicken should gobble it right up. If not, pry the beak open and shove it inside.

If you can't get the amoxy locally, you can get it online. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/
So i did the calcium citrate tablet for 4 days, and gave her 2 days off. She seems better on the tablet. Her poop is still runny and yellow. She also is in the coop by 5 most nights. Should i get amoxicillin and treat her?

Back
Top Bottom