EGG YOLK IN HEN'S BUTT - LETHARGIC. HELP!

If she has a habit of soft shelled eggs, one might have broken in before and you might be seeing the results of it (aka an active infection causing further laying issues). I would give the antibiotics for a full treatment. Try mixing the antibiotic with cat food (mine are partial to Purina in gravy because it has little shreds in it).

Yes, I will still be giving her antibiotics for 4-5 days. And depending on her condition, I will take her to the vet.

It's just that it's holidays where I live, that's why I can't take her now, or buy different meds. I have to use what I have at home.

UPDATE:

After mild activity, she started acting sick again, and expeled more yolk and what I think is egg white.

I removed the oxytetracycline and started with enrofloxacin directly on her beak.

But I'm thinking that perhaps her insides are inflammed, that's why she can't expel all the egg materials easily.

She went to sleep now. She went to sleep earlier than everyone else in the flock.

Is it a good idea to give her a shot of dexamethasone in the morning? The problem is that dexamethasone may affect her immune system as a side effect, making it more difficult for her to fight infections.

Are you a vet or a vet assistant? If not, I would not give her the dex.

For obstruction, calcium each day she's in crisis is the best thing you can give, plus the antibiotic for the broken yolk still lingering in the oviduct. Be patient. Calcium will encourage the contractions to expel the egg remains. She will do a one-eighty when it's all out and return to her normal self. That's when you can stop giving the calcium.

Are you a vet or a vet assistant? If not, I would not give her the dex.

For obstruction, calcium each day she's in crisis is the best thing you can give, plus the antibiotic for the broken yolk still lingering in the oviduct. Be patient. Calcium will encourage the contractions to expel the egg remains. She will do a one-eighty when it's all out and return to her normal self. That's when you can stop giving the calcium.

The thing is that I wasn't able to give her calcium yet. It's holidays in my country and I couldn't find an open store to buy it. Ordering it online would take too long, and holidays end on Wednesday.

All I have until then are two multivitimin products, one of them is meant for feather regrowth and has 0.8 g of calcium pantothenate per 100 g, apart from a long list of vitamins from A to K. What you told me to use is calcium citrate and Google says that calcium pantothenate is closer to vitamin B5 than actual calcium, so I don't know if that would work.

The product does have vitamin D3 though - 25.000 UI per 100 g. Recommended dosage is 4-5 g in 1L of water.

Worth a try?

Thanks for your help.

Bianca perched all night. In the morning I saw that her butt feathers were wet, perhaps more egg white?

I cleaned her up, gave her the 2nd dose of enrofloxacin, and offered egg shells. She ate some. I'll keep trying later, the more she eats, the better, right? Perhaps I'll add tomato or something that makes the egg shells tastier/more attractive for her.

She still doesn't eat normally, but she isn't as lethargic. She isn't super active but at least she doesn't stay in a corner closing her eyes and puffing up. And she did something similar to dust bathing a while ago.

Her vent is inflammed though. She poops very little - not whole turds. Kind of reminds me to when she was prolapsed.

I put some cream in her vent and she stayed still, I think she is in pain.

What was the reason to say no to the dex shot?

We are not vets here, just chicken owners. Dexamethazone being a corticosteroid, is best prescribed by a vet. Giving it is up to you.. Calcium and vitamin D can help with prolapses and egg binding. If she is not pooping well, she may be partially blocked. Sometimes there can be an egg present. Have you been able to push the prolapse back inside?

In addition to what @Eggcessive said, steroids, being very powerful drugs, can sometimes interfere with the normal function of organs. Your intention to try to treat possible inflammation could backfire.

If there is inflammation in the oviduct, it would be caused by bacteria, and the best way to treat that would be an oral antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom