Egg zipped help! Is it dead!

sgnitto

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Long Island
Okay I had a broody hen and she sat on a clutch for 3 weeks. One of other chickens ate most of the eggs when one was stepped on. I have one egg left. Its a jersey giant/ easter hybrid. When i went to feed the chikens the broody came out and the egg was zipped. She ate and went back to her egg and started pecking at it really hard. So i intervened and have it under a heat lamp. Question is that it doesn't seem to be moving. I candled it 2 days ago cause it had been 24 days. I saw a foot move then so i had put under my hen again. But now it zipped and 1/4 of the shell is off. It's not peeping or moving. Ive observed for 2 hours. How do i know if its dead or just dying? Will it be stiff? Cause its not.

Okay I had a broody hen and she sat on a clutch for 3 weeks. One of other chickens ate most of the eggs when one was stepped on. I have one egg left. Its a jersey giant/ easter hybrid. When i went to feed the chikens the broody came out and the egg was zipped. She ate and went back to her egg and started pecking at it really hard. So i intervened and have it under a heat lamp. Question is that it doesn't seem to be moving. I candled it 2 days ago cause it had been 24 days. I saw a foot move then so i had put under my hen again. But now it zipped and 1/4 of the shell is off. It's not peeping or moving. Ive observed for 2 hours. How do i know if its dead or just dying? Will it be stiff? Cause its not.

Touch/move the chick's head. If there is movement great. If not...

Back
Top Bottom