Eggless chickens?

Keelove

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
Hey, I’m new to this website so I’m not really sure how it works. Recently I got 5 new chickens. They definitely are adults considering there size and weight, the person I got them from said they were around a year old and already laying. When I first saw them they were in really bad condition (20 chickens in a coop designed for 6) so I assumed they were just scared and stressed so didn’t think much when they weren’t laying. Unfortunately it’s been a couple of weeks sense I got them and still… no eggs. Is they a way to know their age? Or a reason they may not be laying?

:welcome Chickens hate change, and the change to a new home generally results in a break in their egg production cycle. They may very well go through a molt before resuming laying.

:welcome Chickens hate change, and the change to a new home generally results in a break in their egg production cycle. They may very well go through a molt before resuming laying.
x2. Plus you mentioned they weren't in good health to begin with. And their given age may or may not be accurate (I don't know how well you know the seller, or if they were honest), so if you're in the northern hemisphere the days are growing shorter so there is some possibility that some of them may not resume laying until days start lengthening again.

Back
Top Bottom