Eggs are not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bradleyb, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Bradleyb

Bradleyb Chirping

Dec 3, 2011
    I have a GQF incubator and I’m having problems with the eggs not hatching. I candle the eggs, keep the fertile eggs and on the 18th day I take them off the turner and move them to the bottom of the incubator. The last batch I only had one out of 10 hatch. I could see where some of them had tried peeping their way out and didn’t make it. Can someone help me with this? problem?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The first thing you need to do is verify the thermostat and thermometer.
    They are normally not accurate out of the box.

Bradleyb likes this.
  3. What's your tempature and humidity at? At lockdown, humidity should be between 65°F and 75°F.

morganalefae likes this.
  4. Bradleyb

Bradleyb Chirping

Dec 3, 2011
    If the temperature was off, would they incubate? These were fine till the last few days

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What have you been keeping your humidity at? Have you been opening the ones that don't hatch to try to figure out what went wrong? If so, have you been seeing that they have liquid in them, or look very dry?

morganalefae likes this.
  6. morganalefae

morganalefae Head nut at the nut house

May 2, 2017
    Leicestershire UK
    I have had chicks do something like your talking about, but I hatched them out before I lost them. It was because the humidity was not high enough and they got shrink wrapped. In a case like shrink wrapped chicks you either help or you let them die there is no way a shrink wrapped chick will get out on their own. I have heard/read people saying they won't help a shrink wrapped chick because they think the chick is of poor stock if it can't get out when in reality no chick would be able to get out of that shell.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cell division would happen anywhere from 90-104F. At lower temperatures, organs develop disproportionately so that can cause late failures. There are other causes, like breeder nutrition.

Alaskan and morganalefae like this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    morganalefae and Bonniebooboo like this.
  9. Bradleyb

Bradleyb Chirping

Dec 3, 2011
    When you say “lockdown” what are you referring to

10. Bradleyb

Bradleyb Chirping

Dec 3, 2011
    I’ve kept the temperature at 99.9-100 the whole time. I have not been opening the dead ones

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: