WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
My newer chickens turned 4 months old on September 10th. They're still very young. I went outside this morning, saw a handful of scattered feathers and immediately had to check on the birds.

Everyone is accounted for and everyone seems fine, but there was one little egg in the coop! I don't know who laid it. It's about the size of a shooter marble and it has a perfect little egg shape. Pinkish in color.

Who laid the egg?! Aren't my little girls too young to lay? Did my over active cockerel cause premature laying? Is this okay? I was under the impression that it would be a couple more months before I saw any eggs...

We got our first egg at 4 months, also. That was early July. Now they are all laying and one is broody. We also got one egg the same size as the one you describe and I let my granddaughter crack it open. It was perfectly formed with a yolk!

Attachments

• 7161B2BA-492E-4947-84CA-A088D91CC288.jpeg
    7161B2BA-492E-4947-84CA-A088D91CC288.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 13
We got our first egg at 4 months, also. That was early July. Now they are all laying and one is broody. We also got one egg the same size as the one you describe and I let my granddaughter crack it open. It was perfectly formed with a yolk!
Thank you for sharing! I guess some just lay sooner than others?
I cracked mine open too. Perfect little egg with perfect tiny yolk, just like in your picture!
Looks like I'll be harvesting chicken fruit.

My Golden Comets started to lay at 16.5 weeks.
My Barred Rocks started at 20 weeks.
I got a fairy egg too from my Barred Rocks. View attachment 1905617. GC
Thanks for letting me know. I was under the impression that they all started to lay around the same time, but that was a silly assumption. This is my first time having such a variety of chickens.
Thanks for the picture as well! Adorable egg!

Back
Top Bottom