Eggs classified as HAZMAT by PO

Quote:
That is why they are always shipped Priority Mail.

They are not considered perishable in that time frame.

Quote:
Exactly. The 2-3 day priority took a week, though.

update; The eggs arrived today. Mine did not get opened, evidently were not considered hazardous. None were broken. The box is marked "Hatching Eggs" and Priority mail in big letters. On the box is a nice label from the post office showing how they left Dallas Ft Worth yesterday and here they are in Michigan at my house today. Why couldn't they do that when they were mailed LAST Thursday?

They are cold. I'm going to let them warm up in the house and put them under my hen this evening. The seller is going to pursue a claim. If some hatch, she won't.

Would candling them tell me if there's hope? This is my first time with hatching eggs not mine...

Quote:

update; The eggs arrived today. Mine did not get opened, evidently were not considered hazardous. None were broken. The box is marked "Hatching Eggs" and Priority mail in big letters. On the box is a nice label from the post office showing how they left Dallas Ft Worth yesterday and here they are in Michigan at my house today. Why couldn't they do that when they were mailed LAST Thursday?

They are cold. I'm going to let them warm up in the house and put them under my hen this evening. The seller is going to pursue a claim. If some hatch, she won't.

Would candling them tell me if there's hope? This is my first time with hatching eggs not mine...

Candling now won't tell you much.

One thing it will tell you is whether or not any of the eggs have hairline fractures that you can't see without shining a light through them.

Those fractures can wreak havoc with humidity requirements, but can be fixed with a little clear nail varnish.

So the woman marked them differently then she usually does? I thought she said they were only marked 'fragile' either way it's bizarre they took so durned long! She should demand her money back, or yours, or whoever paid for shipping... I hope you get some hatched
sad.png

Quote:

another way candeling can help is to see if they got scrambled up in the mail just look to see if there is a spot of dark matter or if the bottom of the egg is all dark just my opinion tho just check to see if you can see a difference in any of the eggs well good luck and happy incubating and hatching

i think for sure something smells with USPS..

a friend ordered an Ipod and it was wrapped in a box for a picture frame well padded

the customs form said "picture in frame"...well when she got the package she opened it up and it was empty the ipod was gone....she is a a rural route so she asked her postal worker and he said thats the way he got it...so nothing is safe with the USPS someone is opening things and running a muck thats for sure

They can get away with anything they want. It's just too bad.
But this may make you feel better. Eggs can sit for a week and it's okay. The ground travel thing may work in your favor, some hatcheries believe that the air pressure changes in a plane can cause a lower hatch rate.

It took me 8 days to get eggs from NC to NJ by priority mail. The box said Fragile and Hatching eggs on it. Nobody opened it and the eggs were all intact.

I put them under my broody anyway! Hoping for a miracle!
fl.gif

Even the post office clerk was embarassed by how long it took!

Back
Top Bottom