Eggs for sale

Do you sell eggs if so what do you sell a dozen for.
We have a small CSA and a working farm. We sell our eggs for $5.00/dozen. I've seen other farms in our area sell for as low as $2 and as much as $6. We fill $5 is fair and covers feed and care and allows a modest profit. We can not raise enough eggs to keep up with the demand.

We have about 30 good layers and pre-sale 10 dozen a week.
I highly recommend pre-selling your eggs, this is how we do it:

Customer prepays $50 for 10 dozen eggs. Then each Tuesday we set the eggs at the bottom of our road in an ice chest. I text each customer that their eggs are ready and they pick them up at their convenience. We have a index card we keep for them and write down when they pick up. When their 10 dozen are filled I let them know and if they want to continue they leave a check for $50.00 in the ice chest and start again. If they are out of town they let me know and we hold their eggs that week. The key is to get them use to eating your free range, back yard chicken eggs every week. They will be clamoring for your delicious eggs and not want to buy store bought eggs ever again, no matter the price.

We have a small CSA and a working farm. We sell our eggs for $5.00/dozen. I've seen other farms in our area sell for as low as $2 and as much as $6. We fill $5 is fair and covers feed and care and allows a modest profit. We can not raise enough eggs to keep up with the demand.

We have about 30 good layers and pre-sale 10 dozen a week.
I highly recommend pre-selling your eggs, this is how we do it:

Customer prepays $50 for 10 dozen eggs. Then each Tuesday we set the eggs at the bottom of our road in an ice chest. I text each customer that their eggs are ready and they pick them up at their convenience. We have a index card we keep for them and write down when they pick up. When their 10 dozen are filled I let them know and if they want to continue they leave a check for $50.00 in the ice chest and start again. If they are out of town they let me know and we hold their eggs that week. The key is to get them use to eating your free range, back yard chicken eggs every week. They will be clamoring for your delicious eggs and not want to buy store bought eggs ever again, no matter the price.
That's a great idea thanks

Really! That's interesting. I live on the east coast, and people buy for that price cause our store eggs are pricey rn!

Up here a little North of you store bought eggs are a low of $1.89 to a high of $2.25/dozen. Farm stand eggs go for anything from $2.50 to $5.oo/dozen. To the OP price is whatever your community will accept.

In my area (SW Colorado) it’s between $3 and $5. Free range organic eggs at the grocery store are $5+ so it’s a deal. I would undercut the store’s premium egg prices but don’t offer them so cheap that you’re suddenly without eggs because they were a steal for people! If you do a search in your area on Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace you will get a great idea of your local market and how much people are charging so you are in the same price range.

In my area (SW Colorado) it’s between $3 and $5. Free range organic eggs at the grocery store are $5+ so it’s a deal. I would undercut the store’s premium egg prices but don’t offer them so cheap that you’re suddenly without eggs because they were a steal for people! If you do a search in your area on Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace you will get a great idea of your local market and how much people are charging so you are in the same price range.

So, out of curiosity, I looked up eggs on fb marketplace - which I've never used before. Within 40 miles of me chicken eggs are selling for $1-3 per dozen, this includes brown, white, olive, green, blue colors. The duck eggs were either $2 or $4 a dozen. This included the large city about 40 miles away. So, basically reducing your feed costs are all you are going to getting this area.

Back
Top Bottom