Eggs for sale

Pics
We have a gal who sells 18 for $12. BYC. Costco is about $5 for 18 white. I only have 3 laying at the moment but when all 10 are laying I hope to sell our overflow. I'd be happy to break even on feed. That would be awesome.

We give away 4-5 dozen brown eggs a week to our neighbors. One of the neighbors gives a gift certificate for one of our farm stores every couple weeks to purchase feed and gives us cartons. The other gives us cartons and other garden items. I see a lot in are area selling farm eggs for 2.50 to 3.00 dollars a dozen and store eggs under a dollar for white eggs.
Nice thing about neighbors we share with is if we go out of town, I know one or the other would take care of the chickens while we were away.

Maybe I'm just too new to egg sales, but I'm appalled at some of these low prices for non-commercial eggs.

Idk, you guys.

I spent two years working on my personal trainer certification and bodybuilding prep, plus competitive powerlifting training. . .

I am painfully aware of how important each food item is to your overall well being. Healthy, well cared for hens on an appropriate nutrition regimen produce eggs of remarkable quality, rich in omegas and vitamins, and high in protein with dense, gorgeous yolks.

I would never, even in rural mississippi, laugh at paying $6 per dozen eggs if your feed formulation and your birds were healthy.

I'm sorry the public is so ignorant.

A few things ;
1st & foremost I encourage everyone to read U.S.D.A's Small egg producers guide.
You'll find that its a very extremely bad risk for you to reuse egg cartons , this is an eggsellent way to obtain salmonella & get sued & loose the farm.
People have very unclean habits when they prepare their eggs and you have no clue what they do. We absolutely discourage such nasty habits such as reusing egg cartons & we're not giving anyone an easy opportunity to blame us for their sickness & risk our farm.

Now , " Organic " eggs in the store are not what you or I would consider " Organic " . To qualify an egg farm to be " Organic " according to U.S.D.A.'s guidelines , they simply have a pesticide meter up at ur farm that senses if any non organic sprays have been detected by anyone around.
So , the $3.00 organic store egg is a huge misconception & is why your actual " Organic " eggs are worth so much more .
The white eggs are frowned upon among those that buy " Country " eggs because of the stigmata of a watered downed egg and they're only worth $0.49-$0.99 per dozen. They're much smaller as well.
Another fun fact is for you to know your actual cost , above all else you must know this . include all cost involved , electric,water,feed , carton's ,it takes a fraction of all of these things just to produce a single egg.
For example , our total overhead
cost per egg is $0.07 .
We sell our eggs (color varies) for $5.00 per 30ct. Flat
30 ex's $0.07 = $2.10 - $5.00 = $2.90 profit per flat.
Any demographic will be different , in the end though it depends on your strict managerial skills , auditing skills to find the right price for you to sell and profit.
We have people that sell for a $1.00 per dozen , their unclean practices such as reusing egg cartons tends to shift a lot of their business over to us because eventually those dirty practices gets people sick enough they get hospitalized . that's just the cold hard truth of it all.That's not to mention the fact that there's little doubt they know their true over head cost involved and in a lot of cases they quit showing up at the market sales because they can't seem to understand why they can't get ahead , so they often flop.

Last edited:
1st & foremost I encourage everyone to read U.S.D.A's Small egg producers guide.

Yes, and get ahold of your state regs for selling eggs- my local agricultural extension office was helpful.

above all else you must know this . include all cost involved , electric,water,feed , carton's ,it takes a fraction of all of these things just to produce a single egg.
cost per egg is $0.07 .

Puts me in mind of Mrs. Tweedy from the movie “Chicken Run”. Sick of just getting by selling eggs she hatched a plan to turn the farm into a chicken pot pie factory for greater profit. Hilarity ensues.

A few things ;
You'll find that its a very extremely bad risk for you to reuse egg cartons , this is an eggsellent way to obtain salmonella & get sued & loose the farm.
People have very unclean habits when they prepare their eggs and you have no clue what they do. We absolutely discourage such nasty habits such as reusing egg cartons & we're not giving anyone an easy opportunity to blame us for their sickness & risk our farm.

Now , " Organic " eggs in the store are not what you or I would consider " Organic " . To qualify an egg farm to be " Organic " according to U.S.D.A.'s guidelines , they simply have a pesticide meter up at ur farm that senses if any non organic sprays have been detected by anyone around.
So , the $3.00 organic store egg is a huge misconception & is why your actual " Organic " eggs are worth so much more .
The white eggs are frowned upon among those that buy " Country " eggs because of the stigmata of a watered downed egg and they're only worth $0.49-$0.99 per dozen. They're much smaller as well.
Another fun fact is for you to know your actual cost , above all else you must know this . include all cost involved , electric,water,feed , carton's ,it takes a fraction of all of these things just to produce a single egg.
cost per egg is $0.07 .
Any demographic will be different , in the end though it depends on your strict managerial skills , auditing skills to find the right price for you to sell and profit.
We have people that sell for a $1.00 per dozen , their unclean practices such as reusing egg cartons tends to shift a lot of their business over to us because eventually those dirty practices gets people sick enough they get hospitalized . that's just the cold hard truth of it all.That's not to mention the fact that there's little doubt they know their true over head cost involved and in a lot of cases they quit showing up at the market sales because they can't seem to understand why they can't get ahead , so they often flop.

This entire comment just made my day. Thanks for the overhead breakdown.

Back
Top Bottom