Eggs in Winter

BuKock

In the Brooder
May 12, 2016
Brisbane, Queensland Australia
Hi, I am relatively new with looking after chickens. I live in sunny Queensland, Brisbane city (sub-tropical climate), Australia. Australia is on the other side of the hemisphere so we are on the middle of winter. Today sunrise was at 6:35 AM and sunset 5:13 PM, so day-length is 10:38 hours. I have 6 bantam size chickens who have come out of their moulting about 3 weeks ago, I assume as they are all laying eggs now. I don't have a problem with that but it's mid winter and they are laying eggs. This week Mon: 2 eggs, Tues: 2 eggs, Wed: 4 eggs, Thur: 2 eggs, Fri: 4 eggs
The chickens are free range, the coop is only for the chickens to sleep in. I was not expecting such good production but there has been a recent change to the coop position. It used to be on the ground, it's been raised and placed besides a bathroom window, where the light (LED bulb) is left on all night for the sake of my little children. The chickens perch in the coop next to the window at dusk until after 8:30 PM when I close the coop. So do you think that the window light from 5:13 PM to 8:30 PM is what is causing the chickens to lay eggs in mid winter? Please see photo for reference.
Thanks in advance.

Here it is

Attachments

• chicken coop2.jpg
    chicken coop2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had something else to add. I am thinking that maybe is not the light bulb that is causing the chickens to lay eggs in mid-winter but maybe it's also the quality of sun-light. Although mid-winter, here in Brisbane it's mostly sunny and the sun in this part of the world is also higher in infrared light than other parts. We've been having mostly blue skies for weeks and the temperature varies considerably from low 10 degrees to high 22 centigrade each day.
Has any one had similar experiences with their chickens?

I live in the tropics, with 12 hours daylight all year and temps about the same as your current temps. Mine lay all year round.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had something else to add. I am thinking that maybe is not the light bulb that is causing the chickens to lay eggs in mid-winter but maybe it's also the quality of sun-light. Although mid-winter, here in Brisbane it's mostly sunny and the sun in this part of the world is also higher in infrared light than other parts. We've been having mostly blue skies for weeks and the temperature varies considerably from low 10 degrees to high 22 centigrade each day.
Has any one had similar experiences with their chickens?
I live in Australia also. I'm not sure what the light is doing to your chickens. Due to the light, they may thing its still day. My Australorp lays every day and their nesting box is blocked off from light though. They like to sleep in it as well, which is very annoying. Enjoy the extreme egg laying in the meantime

Even in colder climes, hens still lay in the winter, just less...what kind(s) if bantams do you have that are such good layers?

Hi, thanks for your replies. I have one Ancona (best layer), one Sussex (good layer), two Belgians (also good) and tow Pekins (one not so good). I personally think that is a combination of the good sun-light and the light-bulb coming through the window. I might need to do more research on how quantity and quality of light affects the laying behaviour... Regards

Back
Top Bottom