Eggs...to wash or not to wash?

We collect a few days worth of eggs on the counter, then move them to cartons into our "garage" fridge unwashed. One thing no one has mentioned is whether you're reusing cartons? I would avoid putting washed eggs in a reused carton because you don't knkw what might be in the carton.

I will wash 21 at a time to keep them inside ready to use. Why 21? Because that's how many my new plastic egg container holds! Haha!

As others have mentioned, avoid cold AND hot water. Egg shells are porous - cold water contracts and pulls germs in, hot water expands pores and can also allow germs in.

Reading this thread, I have to ask...why would 'scrubbing' the surface be better than washing? Does it not remove the bloom? And what do you all do if an egg breaks in the nest with other eggs? Do you wash/eat or toss? I have someone laying thin shelled eggs that keep breaking and spoiling other eggs in the nest... :(

Reading this thread, I have to ask...why would 'scrubbing' the surface be better than washing? Does it not remove the bloom? And what do you all do if an egg breaks in the nest with other eggs? Do you wash/eat or toss? I have someone laying thin shelled eggs that keep breaking and spoiling other eggs in the nest... :(
Personally, I do not count on bloom preventing contamination, just slowing it somewhat. The best approach is preventing dirty eggs at the point of origin, or at least minimizing it as we do. We get maybe 1 in 12 give or take.

As a result of reading this thread I have recently started monkeying around with calcium hypochlorite, which should nuke any bugs quite well. Early days yet but does indeed smell like a hot tub. Soon I might wash them all?

As for thin shells, have you tried interrogating your hens one at a time? There are ways to make a chicken squawk.

I personally only wash and scrub right before using the egg (generally as I'm about to hard boil) so the bloom being damaged doesn't matter.

Eggs that are soiled by other eggs I generally "toss" - the dogs can have them.

I do not wash (except just before use) and store on my kitchen counter at room temperature (70 degrees). Any dirty eggs are used immediately or fed to my dogs or chickens as a treat (scrambled for the chickens). Never had an issue and eggs will keep for 30 days. If you think about it, a hen lays 1 egg per day and will sit on a clutch of 10-12 eggs to hatch and it takes 21 days for an egg to hatch so at the time of hatching the oldest egg will be 31-33 days old.

The cuticle or bloom is a thin protective coating that serves to prevent bacteria from entering and moisture from escaping the egg through the pores. We in the U.S. have been conditioned to be believe that eggs must be washed and refrigerated to prevent salmonella because, well, that’s just how it’s always been done here. Salmonella can pass through the pores of an egg if the cuticle has been damaged in some way or from the hen to the egg before the eggshell is formed. In the case of the latter, washing and refrigeration will have no effect on preventing salmonella.

The U.S. is only 1 of 4 countries (Australia, Sweeden & Japan) in the world that requires eggs for consumer sale to be washed and refrigerated because the U.S. does not require production poultry to be vaccinated against salmonella whereas the majority of European Countries do require vaccination. The surest method to prevent salmonella is to wash your eggs before use and to cook thoroughly.

I am new to this as well, I have friends who leave them on the counter but I am kinda a clean freak and I just cant see them dirty, most are not dirty in my coop but some are, those that are warm water wash and fridge. To me that is just safer, and yep very dirty ones the dogs can have. I usually cook over easy eggs so probably not too much to worry about but I'd rather be safe than sick!

I do not wash (except just before use) and store on my kitchen counter at room temperature (70 degrees). Any dirty eggs are used immediately or fed to my dogs or chickens as a treat (scrambled for the chickens). Never had an issue and eggs will keep for 30 days. If you think about it, a hen lays 1 egg per day and will sit on a clutch of 10-12 eggs to hatch and it takes 21 days for an egg to hatch so at the time of hatching the oldest egg will be 31-33 days old.

The cuticle or bloom is a thin protective coating that serves to prevent bacteria from entering and moisture from escaping the egg through the pores. We in the U.S. have been conditioned to be believe that eggs must be washed and refrigerated to prevent salmonella because, well, that’s just how it’s always been done here. Salmonella can pass through the pores of an egg if the cuticle has been damaged in some way or from the hen to the egg before the eggshell is formed. In the case of the latter, washing and refrigeration will have no effect on preventing salmonella.

The U.S. is only 1 of 4 countries (Australia, Sweeden & Japan) in the world that requires eggs for consumer sale to be washed and refrigerated because the U.S. does not require production poultry to be vaccinated against salmonella whereas the majority of European Countries do require vaccination. The surest method to prevent salmonella is to wash your eggs before use and to cook thoroughly.
That makes sense!

We collect a few days worth of eggs on the counter, then move them to cartons into our "garage" fridge unwashed. One thing no one has mentioned is whether you're reusing cartons? I would avoid putting washed eggs in a reused carton because you don't knkw what might be in the carton.

I will wash 21 at a time to keep them inside ready to use. Why 21? Because that's how many my new plastic egg container holds! Haha!

As others have mentioned, avoid cold AND hot water. Egg shells are porous - cold water contracts and pulls germs in, hot water expands pores and can also allow germs in.

I would feed the eggs from that nest to the chickens at that moment, then I'd clean out the nest and fill with fresh shavings.

Woohoo! love this thread as I am still waiting for my first egg, getting extremely impatient. Hubby says if they don't start laying soon they will table food :(

Oh yeah, when I had eggs stacking up(high production and low demand) and then the temps soared, they went into the fridge. Still didn't wash them tho.

I don't wash eggs unless they are very dirty, then will refrigerate or use immediately because thorough washing will remove all the protective bloom(cuticle).

Eggs should be washed in 'water warmer than the egg'.
Simple physics, using colder water will cause the egg contents to contract, causing any 'germs' on exterior surface of egg shell to be pulled into the interior of egg thru the shell pores. Using warmer water will do the opposite.

I don't use any soap or other cleaning/sanitizing agent, just rotate in my hands to 'scrub' all surfaces area of egg shell. Then I air and towel dry before placing in the fridge.

If you are washing eggs for sale to the general public, other requirements may apply, so check your state regulations.
I haven't been washing my eggs, just storing them in the refrigerator. But should I wash them before I use them? Or is it okay to crack an egg with the bloom still on it and use it?

Back
Top Bottom