Eggs with blood in them, no rooster??

See the section labeled blood spots in the following article..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

"1. Blood spots

Blood spots

Can range in severity from a small spot of blood on the yolk to about a spoonful of blood mixed with the egg contents. Egg yolks form and mature in the hen's ovary and sometimes when the mature yolk is released it may rupture a small blood vessel, the blood released will end up being encased in the shell, along with the rest of the egg contents. Causes of this can be:

- Incorrect levels of vitamins A and K in the hen's diet;
- Administration of the drug sulphaquinoxaline;
- Large amounts of lucerne meal in the layers' diet;
- Feeding stale, wet, or moldy feed;
- Continuous lighting in the coop;
- Frights, stress, and disturbances."

You might wish to edit out your e-mail from the public comment. Private info is safer in a private message to a BYC member. To do that click on the person's user name, and that will take you to their profile page. You will see a "start conversation" below. Click on it and it will open a private message window. Then talk away and it will be confidential.

You might wish to edit out your e-mail from the public comment. Private info is safer in a private message to a BYC member. To do that click on the person's user name, and that will take you to their profile page. You will see a "start conversation" below. Click on it and it will open a private message window. Then talk away and it will be confidential.
Good point.

"1. Blood spots

Blood spots

Can range in severity from a small spot of blood on the yolk to about a spoonful of blood mixed with the egg contents. Egg yolks form and mature in the hen's ovary and sometimes when the mature yolk is released it may rupture a small blood vessel, the blood released will end up being encased in the shell, along with the rest of the egg contents. Causes of this can be:

- Incorrect levels of vitamins A and K in the hen's diet;
- Administration of the drug sulphaquinoxaline;
- Large amounts of lucerne meal in the layers' diet;
- Feeding stale, wet, or moldy feed;
- Continuous lighting in the coop;
- Frights, stress, and disturbances."
just got 2 new dogs that have been barking at them. Could that be it. I have them protected from hawks and owls, and dogs, cats and coyotes, we have a lot of them here. I have dogs and cats that could kill them. The owl that nests in a tree on my property carried away a cat of mine (its enormous) and the hawks are tremendous around here. I have my 3 hens in a large walk in pen with a large eglo chicken coop for them. So they have more than enough room, but the two new dogs could have them stress out. I don't know. They have been barking at them. I don't mind the blood, I just don't want them to die, because they are more pets to me. I sit with them in there pen regularly in my chair and one of them actually sits on my lap. The only reason I got them is I love the way they sound. Thanks for helping. They may be stress because we have record heat here right now. Live near New Orleans. Going to be over a 100 degrees here today. I have a box fan on them on hot days but maybe I need to add electrolytes to their water.

Back
Top Bottom