Eggs.

smoke918

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
Has anyone had thier guineas burry the eggs in the dirt? I located a hole in the back of my guinea pin (white guineas), and in its contents was about 8 - 10 eggs. I didn't know if they were hiding the eggs from me or what???
Let me know
Thanks

Sometimes my crazy birds get to dust-bathing like maniacs and cover their eggs in the process. I don't think they do it on purpose, but you never really know with Guineas, lol.

Well the thing is. I saw the hole ( about 6 - 7 in. deep. ), I went back to the coop about 3 hrs later and it was covered up. Same thing the next morning, the hole was open. So, I didn't know if they do this with a purpose or if they were just trying to hide the eggs??

I was waiting for the answer to this, as mine are doing it with the shavings in the coop. Saw 3 eggs laid in the corner last week & when I went back later they were gone. Next day it was open with 6 eggs, that night gone. I ended up moving them to the nest box and finally taking them out. Now they are all 3 laying in the other side of the coop & I had 8 last count, but in the evening they are covered with chips & the next day some eggs are showing. I am going to let them go for now, as at least they are not laying under the coop in the dirt. I don't expect much, but we will see what happens. They could have about 10 eggs in there now, but today I could only see 6 & didn't want to mess with them.

I remember, that my Mother's ducks did that. As Kids it was our job to find the ducknest, to make sure that they are safe. Sometimes it was very hard to find them, because they were covered with hay, grass or old leaves. Often only a couple little feathers let you find the nest. Btw she had Muscovy Ducks

Last edited:
Over the years I have learned from observation of my flocks (and plenty will agree with me on this, lol) that Guineas are basically brainless... so I can't give my Hens credit for being smart enough to hide their eggs, lol. IMO, the eggs accidently get burried from all the neurotic dust-bathing and pacing that goes on in the coop!

As far as I know, it's not a natural thing for Guineas in the wild to bury their eggs, they just choose well hidden shady spots.

Ok.. Maybe I just have an odd batch.. haha. So if they are going to go broody on the eggs they will keep them all in the same spot I take it..?? You read alot of info off of the internet. I am fairly new to the guinea game, just trying to decide to leave the eggs under the dirt or to pick them up..

I'd unbury the eggs, mark them and leave them there (on top) and then see if they continue to add eggs to the pile and/or bury them again. They may be old eggs, and the Hens may have already abandoned them... but if they continue to lay there then the nest may be a fresh one.

If the Hen (or Hens) are happy/comfortable/secure with that spot they will continue to lay until one or more Hens goes broody on the pile. I've had piles get up to close to 90 eggs and 3 Hens trying to cram in and sit on all of them, lol.

This one only had 63 eggs in it (from just 2 Hens), and I ended up robbing 42 of them to fill my incubator last year, lol. They hatched out 16 the 21 I left them (which I stole away from them as soon as they were done hatching! MINE!). The hatch rate was really good from the eggs I took too
celebrate.gif

63eggs2010.jpg

Last edited:
I have several guineas that lay in the same nest (free range). Each time the nest is befouled (pardon the pun), they fina another nest. Actually I noticed the male guinea finds a proper nest, well concealed, for the hens. They all seem to make a nest formed to their body and lay their eggs. I have tried talking to them, but to no avail. I do think sand/dirt, etc. is a means of insulating/hiding the eggs from predators. Hope this helps, Fred in Oklahoma

Back
Top Bottom