eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chittyn, Aug 29, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    when i candle the brown eggs in my incubator, day 4, i can see loads of spots what are they ?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Maybe its bad. Do you have a pic?

3. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    If I were you, I'd google for pictures of a porous egg. I'm guessing that's the spots you are seeing. If it does not look like a porous egg and the spots are dark rather than light, it's probably a bacteria and I'd throw it out. You definitely want to look at pictures to determine which it is though, because porous eggs can hatch, but rotten ones can explode. I'm incubating my first batch of eggs, and I have some porous ones, and I just threw out a rotten one.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I just through out a rotton one to. It smelled really bad! I have 3 duck eggs (khaki campbells) and two unknown chicken eggs that were suppost to be shipped as duck eggs lol. Im keeping my [​IMG] crossed.

5. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    If it is speckled and something is inside it don't toss it!! (throw it away) All of my eggs were speckled and they all of them except 1 hatched! The one that didn't I already new wasn't gonna hatch because it had a lot of stuff on it so I think bacteria got in it. So if it is speckled don't give up!! [​IMG]

6. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    ok thank you can you candle every day could it harm the egg

7. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Uh...I don't think so..I kinda did because I was so anxious! lol Maybe every other day.

8. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I candle most days, as long as you don't keep them out too long, it shouldn't harm them, right up until day 18 when the incubator should stay shut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by