Electric poultry netting/fencing?

Kristen D

Songster
Jun 24, 2017
I was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of electric poultry fencing? I assume the poultry will get electrocuted at some point? Any experiences or opinions please?

My experience with electricity and chickens is that it doesn't work all that well. Chickens have so much insulation in their feathers that they just push right under the lowest wire and go outside. Putting the wire low so that they have to go between wires might work, but the grass grows up and shorts the lowest wire too quickly.

I find that 3/8 to 1/2 inch hardware cloth keeps out most critters and keeps the chickens in, however it seems that nothing prevents snakes and mice. The inexpensive method is to simply use 2" chicken wire to keep the hens in and the big critters out, but it does 'bend' and bow over time to make things look a little ratty. People tend to like the longevity of galvanized hardware cloth. It really depends on your situation. What are you trying to accomplish?

My experience with electricity and chickens is that it doesn't work all that well. Chickens have so much insulation in their feathers that they just push right under the lowest wire and go outside. Putting the wire low so that they have to go between wires might work, but the grass grows up and shorts the lowest wire too quickly.

I find that 3/8 to 1/2 inch hardware cloth keeps out most critters and keeps the chickens in, however it seems that nothing prevents snakes and mice. The inexpensive method is to simply use 2" chicken wire to keep the hens in and the big critters out, but it does 'bend' and bow over time to make things look a little ratty. People tend to like the longevity of galvanized hardware cloth. It really depends on your situation. What are you trying to accomplish?
Right now my chickens live in a barn and free range from 7am until just before dark. I have turkeys that are major bullies and I'd like to possibly keep them contained, as well as use the chickens to till up my spring garden beds. Basically, the turkeys and chickens contained when I need them to be. Something that's movable too.

Out of literally thousands of hens and roosters I have never lost but one chicken to an electric fence, and that chicken became entangled in the top wire. It was a hen who was roosting in an oak tree that overhung the electric fence, so I am unsure if the hen was electrocuted, or if a Great Horn Owl killed her and dropped my hen's body on top of the hot wire.

Electric fences are intended to keep predators or other vermin out of your chicken coop, yard, run, or walk.

Electric fences are not intended to keep chickens confined to their quarters.

I doubt poultry netting or fencing will work with your turkeys, they fly too well. Maybe if you clip wings? I'd call Premier1, they make electric netting and fencing and have a pretty good help desk. They should be able to help with the turkey question.

Chickens do not get electrocuted. The current is not a steady current, it pulses about 50 times a minute. When my chickens hit mine with their combs or wattles they squawk, jump back, and go about their business. If the current were steady they couldn’t do that but with it pulsing they can turn loose. That’s a safety system, the pulsing.

Electric netting and electric fencing is for predator protection, not chicken containment. I don’t think that’s what you need to confine poultry. This stuff is probably better for that purpose, but still call Premier and ask about the turkeys.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/fencing/noshock-fences

I doubt poultry netting or fencing will work with your turkeys, they fly too well. Maybe if you clip wings? I'd call Premier1, they make electric netting and fencing and have a pretty good help desk. They should be able to help with the turkey question.

Chickens do not get electrocuted. The current is not a steady current, it pulses about 50 times a minute. When my chickens hit mine with their combs or wattles they squawk, jump back, and go about their business. If the current were steady they couldn’t do that but with it pulsing they can turn loose. That’s a safety system, the pulsing.

Electric netting and electric fencing is for predator protection, not chicken containment. I don’t think that’s what you need to confine poultry. This stuff is probably better for that purpose, but still call Premier and ask about the turkeys.

Thanks! We have foxes, coyotes, raccoons, and hawks around here so it would be dual purpose definitely. That's why if I'm containing them I'd want protection for them as well.

Out of literally thousands of hens and roosters I have never lost but one chicken to an electric fence, and that chicken became entangled in the top wire. It was a hen who was roosting in an oak tree that overhung the electric fence, so I am unsure if the hen was electrocuted, or if a Great Horn Owl killed her and dropped my hen's body on top of the hot wire.

Electric fences are intended to keep predators or other vermin out of your chicken coop, yard, run, or walk.

Electric fences are not intended to keep chickens confined to their quarters.
Thanks! I've also considered putting it around my barn for that very reason. I would turn it on during the night while they're in the barn. I just want to make sure it won't hurt my chickens.

I'm also very interested in using it as a movable fence to have the chickens till, and fertilize areas I want to put gardens in.

I use electric poultry net fencing. It contains both my chickens as well as my turkeys (I only have a few turkeys); it also works well at keeping the foxes out. I keep one wing clipped on all birds. My set up is such that I have movable tractors inside the pens during the warmer weather and stationary coops/pens for the winter. You do need to keep the grass from growing up around the fencing so as not to short it out. My net fencing is run off an energizer powered by a 12-volt marine battery which we charge every 14-15 days or so. We hang fence alarms on the fencing and have them set so that they'll flash when the voltage goes below 2500.

I use electric poultry net fencing. It contains both my chickens as well as my turkeys (I only have a few turkeys); it also works well at keeping the foxes out. I keep one wing clipped on all birds. My set up is such that I have movable tractors inside the pens during the warmer weather and stationary coops/pens for the winter. You do need to keep the grass from growing up around the fencing so as not to short it out. My net fencing is run off an energizer powered by a 12-volt marine battery which we charge every 14-15 days or so. We hang fence alarms on the fencing and have them set so that they'll flash when the voltage goes below 2500.
That sounds awesome! Good idea on the fence alarms.

Back
Top Bottom