Electrified Wire Strand Fencing - Fishing for Recommendations

Reluctant_keeper

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
Cave Creek, AZ
Hi folks.

So I am thinking about running electrified wire along the top of my 5.5' - 6' block wall.

1. Any solid recommendations for a solar powered charger? I found one rated for 10,000 volts but it seemed to have iffy reviews. Most do not tell you what voltage they deliver. Thinking that the total continuous wire run will come in at close to 0.5-0.75 miles in single length. Don't want lethal ... just a SOLID discouragement.
2. Thinking about two strands @ 3" and 7". Where there is a junction (and since I have seen it use the tops as its personal path to other yards) I will probably add 2 more at 10" and 12".
3. At the block wall junction, thinking about angling the wires outwards at 60° degrees.

Counting on encountering disturbances on the first few encounters as well until it learns there's nothing easy in my yard.

Suggestions welcome!!!!

Last edited:
Hi folks.

So I am thinking about running electrified wire along the top of my 5.5' - 6' block wall.

1. Any solid recommendations for a solar powered charger? I found one rated for 10,000 volts but it seemed to have iffy reviews. Most do not tell you what voltage they deliver. Thinking that the total continuous wire run will come in at close to 0.5-0.75 miles in single length. Don't want lethal ... just a SOLID discouragement.
2. Thinking about two strands @ 3" and 7". Where there is a junction (and since I have seen it use the tops as its personal path to other yards) I will probably add 2 more at 10" and 12".
3. At the block wall junction, thinking about angling the wires outwards at 60° degrees.

Counting on encountering disturbances on the first few encounters as well until it learns there's nothing easy in my yard.

Suggestions welcome!!!!
We got our solar charger to keep bears away from our beehives, so I'd surely think that would work for you. We sold the whole works last year and I don't recall the brand, but you could check there. I'll see if I can find it, and I'll add the link.

Edit: I can't find it but saw them at Home Depot where we got a large solar panel for camping so thought we'd have bought it there. I see they have them though just none looked familiar. TSC has some too as I suppose all farm stores would.

Last edited:
We got our solar charger to keep bears away from our beehives, so I'd surely think that would work for you. We sold the whole works last year and I don't recall the brand, but you could check there. I'll see if I can find it, and I'll add the link.

Edit: I can't find it but saw them at Home Depot where we got a large solar panel for camping so thought we'd have bought it there. I see they have them though just none looked familiar. TSC has some too as I suppose all farm stores would.
Thank you. I think Home Depot carries the Zareba units. I'll have a look. It helps that there's a TSC nearby as well and I'm looking to get material to repair and strengthen the coops as well.

Quick update. We tried placing our adolescents in an outdoor kennel right by our sliding glass door into the backyard. Have a missing hen now (feathers all around the back too), all the doors of the kennel remained secure and the cage remains intact (no bent bars, 1.5"x3" spacing). This is a determined bobcat and now not certain anything is going to discourage it if it was brazen enough to go after them this close to the house.

We were just getting ready to install hardening on the coops (1x1 welded wire mesh) and electrified wire on the top of the block wall.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any positive results to using scent deterrents like wolf urine scent tags?

Looking at MaineOutdoorSolutions.com right now.

Could it be a more effective deterrent than electrified fencing?

My neighbors saw a bob cat across the street a couple months ago so I finished running fence wires for an ac powered electric fence to protect my flock and haven't seen it.I also called our state dnr office and spoke with a biologist who assured me electric fences deter bob cats.Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom