Electrolytes, grow gel, medications, etc...

Panhandler80

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
NW Florida
Going to build my brooder tonight, and hopefully order my chicks in the next day or two.

What's the general consensus on the first couple week feed regime? I've read about grogel a little bit, and I see where some sugar in water for the first day isn't a bad idea. Do you do sugar water AND grogel, or just one? I understand that GroGel is supposed to be a one time application, but I've read where soem folks do it 3-4 feedings, and then every few days they give some more for a week or so. Thoughts on that?

What about electrolytes?

Any any medications I should have on hand? Any of them given as a precautionary measure?

Electrolytes for a couple or three days, maybe, with a separate waterer with fresh water only. I will do that if the chicks arrive looking unwell at all. Otherwise, fresh water, not cold, and fresh feed, and their nice brooder. Either the brooder plate or heat lamp, big enough, with ventilation.
Plan to visit the post office beforehand, and give them your phone numbers, and ask them to call immediately when the chicks arrive. Then, have everything set up and running ahead of time, and go get the babies when you are called.
Mine tend to arrive at 6am, and I rush to get them. If there's a hub nearby, maybe you can pick them up there, so ask about that too.
Mary

Grogel is typically what some hatcheries send with the chicks as they ship. I have never given it to them once they get home. Upon arrival, I offer them only clean water in their waterer. If there are multiple chicks who look lethargic that's when I put electrolytes into their waterer. Depending on how many chicks you're getting and how many are looking tired you may want to give supplemental sugar water or electrolytes to only one or two chicks every hour or so, give or take. The added supplements won't harm the other chicks it's just a why fix something that doesn't need fixed scenario:idunno. Good luck with your babies!!:D:jumpy

Electrolytes for a couple or three days, maybe, with a separate waterer with fresh water only. I will do that if the chicks arrive looking unwell at all. Otherwise, fresh water, not cold, and fresh feed, and their nice brooder. Either the brooder plate or heat lamp, big enough, with ventilation.
Plan to visit the post office beforehand, and give them your phone numbers, and ask them to call immediately when the chicks arrive. Then, have everything set up and running ahead of time, and go get the babies when you are called.
Mine tend to arrive at 6am, and I rush to get them. If there's a hub nearby, maybe you can pick them up there, so ask about that too.
Mary
x2 on the double waterer; one with electrolytes and one without.

Thanks. Had not thought to go by the post office ahead of time. Good idea, thanks. I like that. Not only will they then be aware and expecting it, but they will also place a face with a name, which might encourage promptness and improved customer service... something that's often time absent with the post office.

A friendly face goes a long way, and personal concern shown by you will pay off when those chicks arrive! Once when our shipment was sent to the wrong town, we got a prompt call, and drove up there to get them immediately (called work to tell them I'd be late!) rather than having them in transit another day.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom