Two young chicks have passed, any advice?

Lunarcyn

Hatching
Dec 1, 2023
Hi Everyone! I was hoping if anyone may have some advice.

I got nine little chicks four days ago. I watched videos and read up on care that these little ones would need. Sadly, two of them passed away. One a day or so after I had them, and another today. Both were a bit smaller than the rest and displayed the same symptoms. They would be fine, then suddenly one morning I would find them weak. They become limp, cannot walk only flop around a bit, both keep their eyes closed and refuse to take any water. I tried some warm sugar water but it didn’t do much. They die shortly after I find them in this state. Before death, they both did these motions with their beak where they open it and their tongues move around kind of like a coughing motion? Then they pass.

I change the bedding a few times a day (I use pee pads). Their water is changed a few times a day as well when I see it get a little dirty. When the chicks arrived I gave them some GroGel to perk them up. I use save a chick electrolytes in their water. Have them on starter feed, I have some separately that I mix with warm water in case they want something softer. I have the Brinsea Eglow 600 that I use for their heating pad and have it lowered to fit their small size.

Remaining chicks are active, eating and drinking normally and moving around. Could this be an issue with heat? They are kept in a container in my living room currently, will expand their home when they are a little bigger. I have a rent a coop heating plate coming that is larger in case maybe this one isn’t doing a good enough job. Is there anything I can do to avoid more deaths in the future? They both passed in a similar way so maybe there is something I can be doing better? I know sometimes chicks are weaker and pass, it’s just strange how they passed so sudden. Thank you all for your time and any advice.

I’m so sorry for your losses :hugs
It sounds like things should be on track.... but let’s dig a little deeper.

I “assume” these are chickens?
(Lots of people call all babies “chicks” and I’ve learned to confirm 😉)

Did you get them from....a feed store, local breeder, hatchery, or...?

Is their feed a medicated or non medicated starter?
What brand?

How is their poo looking?

Do they have access to chick grit?

Do you have a thermometer in the warm area to verify the temp?
Also, the cool side, since they are inside the house.... can they get to a cool spot if they are too warm?
Are the “healthy” babies staying under/ near the heat source, or venturing out and about?

Also, the cool side, since they are inside the house.... can they get to a cool spot if they are too warm?
Are the “healthy” babies staying under/ near the heat source, or venturing out and about?
These are my main questions as well, numbers would help here.

Also were these chicks shipped to you or purchased from a store or a breeder? If from a store, did they just get the shipment? Shipping stress in hot and cold weather is a common reason for chicks to pass.

I’m so sorry for your losses :hugs
It sounds like things should be on track.... but let’s dig a little deeper.

I “assume” these are chickens?
(Lots of people call all babies “chicks” and I’ve learned to confirm 😉)

Did you get them from....a feed store, local breeder, hatchery, or...?

Is their feed a medicated or non medicated starter?
What brand?

How is their poo looking?

Do they have access to chick grit?

Thank you for your response! Yes they are chickens, less than a week old.

I received them from a hatchery. They were ordered from a website called mypetchicken.

Their feed is unmedicated. The brand is Eggland’s Best Organic starter-grower crumbles. Should I move to medicated? If so, are there any brands you recommend?

Their poo is firm and solid for the most part. Sometimes it is solid surrounding by some runny if that makes sense. No active diarrhea that I am seeing.

No chicken grit however I do have some. It says that the chicks should be 2 weeks and they are not a week yet so I am afraid to offer it too soon.

They can get to a cool spot outside of the heat plate. The chicks work as a flock and if one leaves, the others rush after to drink and eat and venture around a little before going back under the heat. Some are even jumping around already! My house is in 66 degrees coolest, typically in the 70s as I turn the heater on. I haven’t tested under the plate with a thermometer however. I will buy one and try that out!

These are my main questions as well, numbers would help here.

Also were these chicks shipped to you or purchased from a store or a breeder? If from a store, did they just get the shipment? Shipping stress in hot and cold weather is a common reason for chicks to pass.
my apologies, here are the answers to the questions.

Yes they are chickens, less than a week old.

I received them from a hatchery. They were ordered from a website called mypetchicken. They were in transit for one day and I picked them up immediately from the post office.

Their feed is unmedicated. The brand is Eggland’s Best Organic starter-grower crumbles. Should I move to medicated? If so, are there any brands you recommend?

Their poo is firm and solid for the most part. Sometimes it is solid surrounding by some runny if that makes sense. No active diarrhea that I am seeing.

No chicken grit however I do have some. It says that the chicks should be 2 weeks and they are not a week yet so I am afraid to offer it too soon.

They can get to a cool spot outside of the heat plate. The chicks work as a flock and if one leaves, the others rush after to drink and eat and venture around a little before going back under the heat. Some are even jumping around already! My house is in 66 degrees coolest, typically in the 70s as I turn the heater on. I haven’t tested under the plate with a thermometer however. I will buy one and try that out!

I received them from a hatchery. They were ordered from a website called mypetchicken. They were in transit for one day and I picked them up immediately from the post office.

Lack of grit or medicated/non medicated feed won't be the issue here.

With the heat plate, best way to test it is simply put your hand on it - it should be warm/hot, but not so hot that it feels unbearable to touch. If possible set it so one side is a little higher than the other (some have adjustable legs). As long as the plate is warm/hot then temperatures shouldn't be the issue. From their behavior I'm assuming they're fine with temps.

How cold is it where you're at, outside? If it's been very cold, even the 1 day of transit could've been hard on the chicks. You noted the ones that passed seemed smaller, so they may not have been as hardy and the cold hit them harder than the others.

Also after they arrived did you give them any electrolytes or chick vitamins? Instead of sugar water I'd recommend Poultry Nutri-Drench (it has sugar to stimulate as well as some vitamins and minerals and is designed for easy absorption), if you have a feed store nearby, and I'd offer that in their drinking water for the next few days.

Lack of grit or medicated/non medicated feed won't be the issue here.

With the heat plate, best way to test it is simply put your hand on it - it should be warm/hot, but not so hot that it feels unbearable to touch. If possible set it so one side is a little higher than the other (some have adjustable legs). As long as the plate is warm/hot then temperatures shouldn't be the issue. From their behavior I'm assuming they're fine with temps.

How cold is it where you're at, outside? If it's been very cold, even the 1 day of transit could've been hard on the chicks. You noted the ones that passed seemed smaller, so they may not have been as hardy and the cold hit them harder than the others.

Also after they arrived did you give them any electrolytes or chick vitamins? Instead of sugar water I'd recommend Poultry Nutri-Drench (it has sugar to stimulate as well as some vitamins and minerals and is designed for easy absorption), if you have a feed store nearby, and I'd offer that in their drinking water for the next few days.
The heat plate is warm when I put my hand on it, however it does start to get uncomfortable if I leave my hand on for a few seconds. Not scalding but not what I would want to touch for a long time. It has legs that I can raise, I’ll make one end of it a bit higher than the other.

I live in a relatively warm state, lows currently are 50s and it is usually within the 70s. They did ship from Ohio though which is much colder.

When they arrived, I immediately gave them all GroGel which they ate very well. I also give them the save a chick electrolytes in their water. I’ll go ahead and order the Nutri-Drench and try it out, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom