elevator screenings...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pozarnsk, Sep 3, 2008.

1. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    I have a question regarding feeding elevator screenings. I can get screening for about $40/ton at my local elevator for corn/wheat/barley etc.....

Since this is almost free compared to the $11/50lb bag of layer/starter I am buying now, I was wondering how much you can replace/supplement to cut feed costs in thsi manner.

Anyone have experience with this? I haven't been able to find any posts on the issue.

Thanks,

Jared

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    What would your protein source be? And would it be high enough to keep the hens healthy and producing eggs?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. pozarnsk

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    I've read that the chickens will balance their own protien, eating grains and then feed to make sure they get enough. I read this from the chicken guru Plamodan, don't know if its true.

Thats why I'm asking here.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    They can only "balance" their own protein IF it is available to them. Will your birds have access to other food sources?

5. pozarnsk

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    yes the idea is to provide them, screenings along with their regular feed in the hopes to cut down on consumption of the expensive stuff.

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Be VERY careful with elevator screenings as they can have a high level of mycotoxins, especially if they have sat at the elevator for any length of time.

Jim

7. pozarnsk

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    ok .... what in the world is a mycotoxin.....

8. deryl reed

deryl reed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
  9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mycotoxins are waste products from molds such as Aflatoxin, DON, etc. They can be very detrimental to livestock, even deadly.

Jim

10. pozarnsk

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    did some reading, looks like the good news is poultry is much less suseptable to mycotoxins than other livestock such as swine, and cattle.

Looks like as with everything else in life, there is no free lunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by