Elk River MN

I'm over here in pine city. been trying to replace dogs and cats with seramas as household pets. my pet wakes me up in the morning makes me breakfast and keeps me intertained all day. now what does a cat do?

68414_100_0787.jpg

68414_100_0744.jpg

I'm in Alexandria. not too close. We want to work to change our city laws here as well. Good luck!

I currently live in Elk River and have 3 female hens I had a rooster not on purpose but he was sexed wrong so I had to find him a new home. What I did not realize till a neighbor put in a complaint was that you cannot have hens in Elk River unless you live on 5 acres. I would like to changes this so that I can keep my chicks I have found them a safe home at my dad's in Anoka till I can get this worked out but I would like to speak at the next City Council meeting on Monday August 6 at 6:30 on this subject to see what would need to happen to have this change. I know that I have some neighbors who support this idea and are willing to come to the meeting would you be interested in getting this ordinance changed.
Let me know,
Heather Orton
[email protected]

I am in Elk River too, and currently building a coop and run with chickens on the way. It's very tasteful, but are you sure the law refers to hens? I understand it for Roosters, but hens I thought were ok. Please let me know as soon as you find out because I will have to cancel my order and stop building..oh so sad if that were the case. Funny how you can have chickens in Minneapolis with a certain % of neighbors approval, but not Elk River? There are so many homes here with chickens already...do they have to get rid of them? Wow..very upset in Elk River, MN :p

I am in Elk River too, and currently building a coop and run with babies on the way. It's very tasteful, but are you sure the law refers to hens? I understand it for Roosters, but hens I thought were ok. Please let me know as soon as you find out because I will have to cancel my order and stop building..oh so sad if that were the case. Funny how you can have chickens in Minneapolis with a certain % of neighbors approval, but not Elk River? There are so many homes here with chickens already...do they have to get rid of them? Wow..very upset in Elk River, MN :p

here is the bylaws for elk river, as it pertains to the keeping of animals on a property.

The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Animal means a dog, cat, or other animal which is harbored, fed, or kept by any person.
Animal warden means the chief of police or his authorized representative designated as such by him to perform the duties prescribed by this chapter.
At large. An animal, except for a cat, is at large when it is off the property of the person owning, harboring, or keeping the animal, and it is not under restraint. A cat is at large when it is off the property of the person owning, harboring, or keeping the cat, and the cat does not have a collar on with a current license attached.
Citation means a notice or complaint issued by the animal warden or a city police officer to the owner of any animal apprising the owner of one or more violations of this chapter.
Kennel, commercial, means any premises where more than three animals of over six months of age are boarded, trained, or bred for compensation or are offered for sale, except for an animal hospital, pet shop or veterinary clinic.
Kennel, private, means any premises where:
(1)
More than three dogs or three cats over the age of six months; or
(2)
More than ten cats over the age of six months if located on premises of ten acres or more as long as the cats have been spayed or neutered;

are harbored or kept, except for a commercial kennel.
Owner means any person owning, keeping, harboring, or acting as custodian of a dog, cat, or other animal.
Person means any individual, firm, partnership, or corporation.
Premises means any building, structure, shelter, vehicle, or land whereon dogs, cats, or other animals are kept or confined.
Public nuisance animal means any animal which:
(1)
If a dog or cat, is repeatedly found at large.
(2)
Damages the property of anyone other than its owner.
(3)
Causes fouling of the air by odor.
(4)
Causes unsanitary conditions of enclosures or surroundings.
(5)
By virtue of number of types of animals maintained, is offensive or dangerous to the public health, safety or welfare.
(6)
Excessively makes disturbing noises.
(7)
Molests passersby or passing vehicles.
(8)
Attacks other domestic animals.
(9)
Has been designated by the animal warden to be a public nuisance animal by virtue of being a menace to the public health, welfare and safety.

Veterinary hospital means a place for the treatment, hospitalization, surgery, care, and boarding of animals or birds, which place is owned and operated by a licensed veterinarian.
Vicious animal means any animal which constitutes a physical threat to human beings or other animals by virtue of one or more attacks of such severity as to cause property damage or physical injury, or any animal of vicious character, habit, or disposition.

(Code 1982, § 502.00; Ord. No. 00-15, § 2, 9-11-2000)
Cross reference— Definitions generally, § 1-2.
Sec. 10-2. - Running at large.
hyperlink.png

No dog, cat, or other animal shall be allowed by its owner to run at large, and every owner of a dog shall cause the dog:
(1)
To be confined to the owner's property by training, fencing, or leashing, and females in heat shall be confined in an enclosure and so kept and confined therein during such entire period and until such dogs shall not attract other dogs on account thereof.
(2)
While in any public place such as a school, playground, or park, to be on a leash, chain, or cord of not more than eight feet in length and in the custody of a person of sufficient age to adequately control the dog at all times.
(3)
While in all other areas such as on a public street or in an automobile, to be in the custody of a person of sufficient age to adequately control the dog or cat at all times, and to have and keep the dog under control.

Every person convicted of a violation of this provision shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100.00.
(Code 1982, § 502.08; Ord. No. 00-15, § 4(502.08), 9-11-2000)
Sec. 10-3. - Wild or vicious animals.
hyperlink.png

No person shall keep or allow to be kept any place in the city any vicious animal or any animal which is wild by nature.
(Code 1982, § 502.09)
State law reference— Dangerous dogs, Minn. Stats. § 347.50 et seq.
Sec. 10-4. - Confinement of animal biting human.
hyperlink.png

(a)
Whenever an owner within the limits of the city shall learn that his animal has bitten a human being, such person shall immediately confine the animal in a place where it cannot escape or have access to any human being or other animal. A report of the incident shall immediately be made by the owner to the city police department. The person bitten, or his parent or guardian, may also notify the city police department.
(b)
Whenever an officer of the police department shall learn that a human being has been bitten by any animal, the officer shall ascertain the identity of the animal and the person owning, harboring, or possessing it and shall immediately direct such person to confine such animal as deemed appropriate by the officer.
(1)
Any animal so ordered confined shall be confined as so directed for a period of at least ten days, kept apart from other animals.
(2)
Upon expiration of the ten days, if it is determined the animal does not have a disease which might have been transmitted by such bite, the animal may then be released.
(Code 1982, § 502.10)
Sec. 10-5. - Control of animals with history of biting.
hyperlink.png

Every animal that has a history of biting a human or any domestic animal shall be confined by the owner within a building or secure, covered enclosure. Such animal shall not be taken out of such building or secure, covered enclosure unless muzzled and on a leash.
(Code 1982, § 502.11)
Sec. 10-6. - Nuisance animals.
hyperlink.png

No person shall keep, own, harbor, or otherwise possess within the city an animal which is a public nuisance animal.
(Code 1982, § 502.32)
Cross reference— Nuisances, ch. 46.
Sec. 10-7. - Noisy animals.
hyperlink.png

It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, have in his possession, or harbor any animal which, by frequent and habitual howling, yelping, barking or otherwise, shall cause serious annoyance or disturbance to persons or to the neighborhood; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized hospitals or clinics established and operating for the treatment of small animals. No person shall be convicted under the provisions of this section except upon evidence from 50 percent of the adult residents living within 500 feet of the residence of the animal complained of or from four persons each of a different household, whichever is less, and no warrant shall be issued except after written notice has been mailed or delivered to the occupant of the premises where such animal is kept or harbored advising that a complaint has been made about the animal and calling attention to the provisions of this section.
(Code 1982, § 502.34)
Sec. 10-8. - Abandonment.
hyperlink.png

It shall be unlawful to abandon any dog, cat, or other animal within the city.
(Code 1982, § 502.14)
Sec. 10-9. - Removal of animal feces.
hyperlink.png

(a)
Any person having the custody or control of any dog or domestic animal shall have the responsibility for cleaning up any feces of the animal and disposing of such feces in a sanitary manner. It shall furthermore be the duty of any person having custody or control of any dog or domestic animal on or about any public place or private property of another to have in such person's possession suitable equipment for the picking up, removal, and sanitary disposal of animal feces. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a guide dog accompanying a blind person or to a service dog accompanying a disabled person or to a dog when used in police or rescue activities. Every person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100.00.
(b)
The provisions of this section shall not apply to the ownership or use of Seeing Eye dogs by blind persons, dogs used in police activities of the city, such as the canine corps, or tracking dogs used by or with the permission of the city's police department.

Did you ever find out the answer to your question?

My understanding is that for over 5 acres, there is no issue, and there is a "Conditional Use Permit" process for smaller parcels (e.g. 1-2 acres). I've also been told that if you live in a suburb neighborhood (homes closer together), don't even try, but the larger lots it's possible. This was information shared by an employee in the Enforcement department at the City of Elk River when my husband called. I would recommend calling and asking specifically about the area where you live.

Back
Top Bottom