Elvis may be leaving the building...

v.cyr

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Greene, NY
this afternoon, our young sebright rooster, Elvis, attacked and tore up one of our EE pullets pretty bad( head, neck and "elbows" caught the worst)... we have her isolated, wounds cleaned out and blue-koted, and I feel she has a fairly good chance of making it... none of the wounds were very deep, just very bloody...the question remains though, what to do with Elvis... we were planning on keeping him for breeding, and possibly showing, since he seems to be a good example of the breed, but now, not so sure... to be honest the little bugger is lucky to be alive right now... I almost wrung his little neck when I pulled him off of Kaylee(the EE pullet)... for now he is confined to the doghouse coop separated from the other young birds... is there a chance of him growing out of his aggression, or is it only going to get worse( he is about 3 months old)...

I've never really had any experience with a roo attacking a pullet like that. But thruthfully if he's that aggressive at 3 months old I can't imagine what he'll be like when he get's older!! Good luck with whatever you decided!!

WOW. Was there any wounds before the attack? Any blood? I know 1 time I went into my coop and found 1 of my roo's and 2 other hens on one of my hens. They hurt her pretty bad. She had a previous injury and I had treated her and covered her with blue kote. But they must have seen blood. That is the 1st and only time that ever happened. He is really great with his hens. I hope she gets better soon.

With teenage roosters anything can happen. If he is of show quality you might keep him in a separate pen until mature and then reassess his personality. Aggression is a heritable trait; therefore, in my opinion over aggression should be selected against.

Quote:
only reason he isn't right now is that a 3 month old sebright ain't got enough on it to cook, and I won't kill anything unless I plan on eating it... I have to discuss what we are doing with him with the GF when she gets home from work, but the two options I see are sell him( banties get twice the price of large fowl at auction, go figure) or separate him and fatten him up for slaughter...

v.cyr :

Quote:
only reason he isn't right now is that a 3 month old sebright ain't got enough on it to cook, and I won't kill anything unless I plan on eating it... I have to discuss what we are doing with him with the GF when she gets home from work, but the two options I see are sell him( banties get twice the price of large fowl at auction, go figure) or separate him and fatten him up for slaughter...

Your correct, there is not much.

But enough to bone the meat out, cook up and have a salad with chicken on top.
smile.png

I hope your EE pullet recovers quickly.​

Back
Top Bottom