EMERGENCY depressed goose:(

chickensval

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Well today one of the neighbors dogs got in our yard and we had our two ducks and one house goose free range at the time. They are all best friends and well, the dog got a little Duckie :( My house goose, Ryan, ran after the dog to 'defend' his best friends. I grabbed a stick and started hitting the dog until it finally left, but it was too late :( our little duck was dead. Ryan walked over to the duck and I could hear his heartbreak:( he sat down beside her and when I tried to pick her up to bury her, he bit me. He's usually a very sweet goose. I finally got him away from her and put him inside to bury her, and I was surprised to see him watching out the window. He has been much more clingy to me than usual after the incident. I tried everything to lift his spirits. But nothings worked. He is acting very different. I wish he wouldn't be so sad. When he is sad , I'm sad.I look at him as my child, and my heart is breaking more and more each second. What can I do to make him happier??

Well today one of the neighbors dogs got in our yard and we had our two ducks and one house goose free range at the time. They are all best friends and well, the dog got a little Duckie
sad.png
My house goose, Ryan, ran after the dog to 'defend' his best friends. I grabbed a stick and started hitting the dog until it finally left, but it was too late
sad.png
our little duck was dead. Ryan walked over to the duck and I could hear his heartbreak:( he sat down beside her and when I tried to pick her up to bury her, he bit me. He's usually a very sweet goose. I finally got him away from her and put him inside to bury her, and I was surprised to see him watching out the window. He has been much more clingy to me than usual after the incident. I tried everything to lift his spirits. But nothings worked. He is acting very different. I wish he wouldn't be so sad. When he is sad , I'm sad.I look at him as my child, and my heart is breaking more and more each second. What can I do to make him happier?
They do seem to have a hard time with death, if you have more ducks let him be with them it will help him to see them and know they are okay. It will take time for him to grieve.

When my sweetheart Sammie died last month his mate Ginger was having a very hard time and still is. She goes off by herself and looks for Sammie in different places that she knew he would go. It is sad to see her do this. I feel the same as Ginger does about Sammie!! I wish he was back here. Ginger has two room mates Hanna and Nikki and they follow her around looking with her. This is different but Nikki our lavender gander looked up to Sammie and was always with him and loved Sammie. They were together at breeding time and not one fight between the two and this is for two years now. I know they all miss him as I do.

Geese do grieve for their lost partners no matter if goose or duck......

I know how you feel. My gander has only bit me once. It was when his mate died and I took her body away. Luckily he only bit my thick boot. He was so lonely and depressed. Now he is very happy with the 2 geese I got to replace his mate.

They do seem to have a hard time with death, if you have more ducks let him be with them it will help him to see them and know they are okay. It will take time for him to grieve.

I only have one other duck, I'm more of a chicken person. But he doesn't get along with the chickens. I put Ryan and the duck in the coop together, and Ryan just isn't very interested in playing anymore :( he is still really young and he and the ducklings were together since I hatched them.

[COLOR=0000CD]When my sweetheart Sammie died last month his mate Ginger was  having a very hard time and still is. She goes off by herself and looks for Sammie in different places that she knew he would go. It is sad to see her do this. I feel the same as Ginger does about Sammie!! I wish he was back here. Ginger has two room mates Hanna and Nikki and they follow her around looking with her. This is different but Nikki our lavender gander looked up to Sammie and was always with him and loved Sammie. They were together at breeding time and not one fight between the two and this is for two years now. I know they all miss him as I do.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Geese do grieve for their lost partners no matter if goose or duck......[/COLOR]

I am sorry that you lost your beloved goose. :( I feel your pain. I think you know about Ryan, you posted in one of my threads that were all about Ryan, and told me that I shouldn't put him on his back, and thanks for that!! Ryan's sitting in front of the TV preening right now, happiest I've seen him since we lost our duckie:( I am going to stop free ranging until something is done about that dog, darn thing must've dug a hole under the fence.

I know how you feel. My gander has only bit me once. It was when his mate died and I took her body away. Luckily he only bit my thick boot. He was so lonely and depressed. Now he is very happy with the 2 geese I got to replace his mate.

Ryan is still quite young, not sure if he saw her as a girlfriend, or just a very close pal. Lol. I have been giving him as much attention as I can.

Back
Top Bottom