Awesome job! I have nothing to add. Hopefully they all hatch! Great job saving them! I'm glad you could find an incubator. The chick can go to the brooder now. Are any more hatching? I can see the feet in a lot of mine during lockdown candlings, it doesn't mean they're malpositioned. The foot goes over the head when hatching, totally normal. Congrats again!

Awesome job! I have nothing to add. Hopefully they all hatch! Great job saving them! I'm glad you could find an incubator. The chick can go to the brooder now. Are any more hatching? I can see the feet in a lot of mine during lockdown candlings, it doesn't mean they're malpositioned. The foot goes over the head when hatching, totally normal. Congrats again!

Thanks! I feel really lucky!

So far no more pips as of yet. I hope for another one otherwise this one will be lonely... I got her a friend (mirror) for now while waiting 😂😁.
She also seemed to like to snuggle up on my shoulder/chest area.

Thanks! I feel really lucky!

So far no more pips as of yet. I hope for another one otherwise this one will be lonely... I got her a friend (mirror) for now while waiting 😂😁.
She also seemed to like to snuggle up on my shoulder/chest area.
A little update - another pip a few hours ago!

I am a bit concerned about the "brooder" set up (the worrying mother instinct i guess :rolleyes:)...

Last night the temp. fell to 29 C (84f) in the brooder even with the lamp on, and the water bottle cooled off so it was not doing its job anymore. The chick did not seem to be too cold (although what would be the signs?!) and once I was awake I raised the temperature immediately back to 30-35 (86-95) (its always rather around 33 c - 91.4f). I am not sure how long it was colder than it should be...
So my question is what is lethal (temp high and low)?

I am starting to think that maybe it's better to keep them in a regular room on a counter with the lamp instead of the boiler room. During the day the room is well around 30c and only minimal extra heat is necessary, but clearly during the night is somewhat cooler....

86C6AEE8-8C7A-4967-B400-475E95E44D0E.jpeg

Number 3 is on its way!

Personally I would worry far more about the eggs getting TOO hot vs not warm enough at this stage of development. Early in development even a couple of degrees off can cause death/deformities, but these chicks are likely pretty much fully developed and just need help maintaining their body temp.

For the brooder remember to have a temperature gradient such as 95 on one end and 10 degrees cooler on the other end. That allows chicks to warm up or cool down as needed.

Personally I like using a "mama hen heating pad" which is basically just a regular heating pad curved into a cave shape so chicks can run under it to warm up. It also provides a feeling of safety/protection similar to a mother hen. Course controlling the temp can be a bit tricky with a heating pad, one option is a cheap dimmer switch cord (that allows you to turn the power up/down to control heat). Wrapping it in cloth/towels can also moderate the heat.

Obviously there will be fewer temp swings when chicks are snuggled under a soft/cushy heating pad as it protects against drafts or changes in air temp. Other benefit is a natural night/day schedule so they sleep better.

Example:
1596120781771.png
1596120819296.png

Last edited:
View attachment 2268785
Number 3 has joined the brooder!
No sight of number 4 yet...
I have decided to invest into "momma hen" style heater, but before it comes will be using the lamp as a heater.
The box is maybe too small because I get 35 c on one side and 30 c on the other.
They seem to be happy there so far 🤷🏼‍♀️
I did the same thing. Because of BYC I decided the day I received my newest chick shipment to switch to a radiant heating pad but had to use a lamp for the first three days. Heating pad was way better. The babies are so cute! Congrats! Hopefully #4 can pull through :)

Back
Top Bottom