EMERGENCY! HELP! Chicken with bloody vent.

Pics

-Shade-

This Is An Illusion
Mar 27, 2021
Ardonia
One of my chickens has a very bloody vent. A couple of weeks ago I had a chicken from the same coop have a blowout, and she died. This chicken--her name is Duds-- has been laying bloody eggs the past several days, and nothing I did seemed to be helping. She now has what looks like a blood clot in her vent, but she is also trying to poop. There is a strange fleshy-looking something coming out of the vent. What is happening? What do I do? is she gonna die?

!!!

She needs to have the whole Tums. Putting in water dilutes it too much for it to do any good. Get another Tums and break it in half, Pry open her beak and stick one half in, let her swallow, then stick the other half in. It takes a minimum of 500-600mg calcium to trigger adequate contractions. She will need more calcium in the morning if she still is in this condition.

Read the article I wrote and linked to. It gives instructions on how to care for the prolapse. It must not be allowed to dry out or she will die from it.

Read this and you'll get a better idea of what's happening to your hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

Prolapse is about as serious as it gets. Your hen likely had others peck at her prolapse and that's why she's been bleeding. Depending on the extent of the injury, it may heal or it may kill her.

The thing behind a prolapse is a blockage. It causes the hen to strain to try to clear it. This is what prolapse is. All the straining has pushed the cloaca out of the vent where it belongs. It won't go back in and stay until the blockage clears. To help clear the blockage, give her a calcium tablet right now. It can be Tums or a calcium pill, whatever you can lay hands on in a hurry. She needs it immediately. It will help her contractions to expel the blockage.

It does look like that only with more blood clots hanging around it and poop dribbling from the edges and it's about twice as big
That is probably because the other chickens have been pecking at it. Azygous has given you great advice, I was going to suggest a calcium pill but I wasn’t confident enough to, in case her contracting made the prolapse worse. I think if you follow the advice of Azygous, your hen will pull through 🙏🙏🤞🤞 good luck and please update.

Out of curiosity, how does her crop feel? I have just dealt with something similar. My little polish ebony was all hunched up and isolating herself. I brought her in and monitored her. Her crop was mushy, but she also hadn’t pooped for a good few hours. This made me think she had a blockage. I treated for an impacted crop, but also sour crop. I syringed olive oil straight into her crop, and massaged every couple of hours in a downward motion. I also gave caneston cream. (Ladies thrush cream) for sour crop. I Withheld food for 24 hours. She passed the biggest poop ever (I suspect long grass was the problem) but it caused a prolapse. She isn’t old enough to lay eggs so I knew she wasn’t eggbound. I sprayed with vetrycin and gently pushed it back im, lucky enough it has stayed in.

It helps to warm up towels in the dryer and put her into a crate on the warm towels. The warmth will relax her so her pelvic muscles aren't fighting against her contractions, but working with the contractions.

The blockage affects how her fluids are dispersed into her body, so this ordeal can dehydrate her. Be sure she has water to drink at all times, and it would help a lot to but some electrolytes and sugar in the water.

Placing her in a crate on the towels will also help you see when she passes the blockage and it will be important to know if it involves any broken yolk. That would require an antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom