emergency help , cracked duck beak

RueBuckaroo

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Miami, Florida
my muscovy duck cracked the tip of his beak, i believe he slipped and hit it against the floor. he’s eating and drinking (i put the food in the water so it’s easy for him to eat). what should i do? it stopped bleeding but it looks like it’ll fall off. should i take him to a vet to remove it? will it grow out or fall off on its own?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 36
  • B91EC3FB-180C-4A92-8B31-9CE1CAD23C0B.jpeg
    B91EC3FB-180C-4A92-8B31-9CE1CAD23C0B.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 86E11D94-25C3-4B9B-B30E-199402464508.jpeg
    86E11D94-25C3-4B9B-B30E-199402464508.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 13
  • E6D7C53E-EF6A-46DA-AAE9-E37CFE79CA98.jpeg
    E6D7C53E-EF6A-46DA-AAE9-E37CFE79CA98.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Leave it.

Keep him alone, quietly in a clean environment for a few days until the wound is healing.

You are doing well to assure his food is easy to eat.

I have a drake that had his beak injured in an attack by a raccoon when he was a duckling [a second duckling died in the attack] He was given up for care by a rehabber, and has done just fine. My drake's bill is deformed and he does need support with eating, but his care was keeping him clean, without further trauma, and ensuring he could eat and drink.

Your boy's bill is nothing like so badly traumatized!

Attachments

• 20220507_153200.jpg
    20220507_153200.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Leave it.

Keep him alone, quietly in a clean environment for a few days until the wound is healing.

You are doing well to assure his food is easy to eat.

I have a drake that had his beak injured in an attack by a raccoon when he was a duckling [a second duckling died in the attack] He was given up for care by a rehabber, and has done just fine. My drake's bill is deformed and he does need support with eating, but his care was keeping him clean, without further trauma, and ensuring he could eat and drink.

Your boy's bill is nothing like so badly traumatized!
thank you so much for your reply. i was panicking so much haha

should i take him to the hospital though? do you think it is necessary to bring him?

thank you so much for your reply. i was panicking so much haha

should i take him to the hospital though? do you think it is necessary to bring him?
If where you live you have an animal hospital/vet near you that is affordable and will see a duck -- go and see them!!!

It's never wrong to take a sick or injured duck to a vet. In my County in NE Florida, there are no vets that see domestic ducks. There is a vet that will see wild ducks -- sometimes. They are currently reluctant because of bird 'flu I think. The nearest exotic pet vet is in Duval County to the north and she demands $300 up front before she will give an appointment. Ducks are cared for by wildlife rehabbers -- that is how I came to have my duck with a damaged bill. [He might look strange, but he is a sweet little, cuddly duck -- not a shiner in the intellect department, but who cares when he is cuddled up by me on the back steps?]

Back
Top Bottom