emergency please help

If it's gape worm don't you deworm?

"Gapeworms are best prevented by administering a wormer at fifteen to thirty day intervals or including a drug at low levels continuously beginning fifteen days after birds are placed in the infected pens. One drug that is effective for eliminating gapeworms is fenbendazole, however, its use is not presently approved for use in birds by the Food and Drug Administration."
From http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

Instead of fenbendazole I would use my piperazine .  Powder you put in the water for several hours for the whole crew.

Piperazine (Wazine) only treats large roundworms. Safeguard (fenbendazole) is what I use for gapes.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. I had a polish with the exact same symptoms around 3 months ago. She started gasping for air out of the blue. I noticed it early in the morning and I was working 7 12s at the time. Bye the time I made it home from work she had sadly passed away. I was very new to my flock and watched the other birds very closely for a few weeks with no symptoms. Now 3 months later she started doing this today. Now my four sex links are sitting in roost with their eyes closed and look ill as well. As for the current cochin I administered the Tylan subcutaneously and gave her some apple cider and water by means of a syringe and she seems to be maintaining. Thanks again for everyones concern and taking the time to help me out!

Piperazine (Wazine) only treats large roundworms. Safeguard (fenbendazole) is what I use for gapes.

-Kathy
Oh thanks Kathy,
It said fenbendazole was not allowed to be sold anymore. Gape worms can be seen in the throat of a hen right so maybe look first. Ivermectin supposedly treats gape worm but not if already infected.

Thanks everyone for the input. I had a polish with the exact same symptoms around 3 months ago. She started gasping for air out of the blue. I noticed it early in the morning and I was working 7 12s at the time. Bye the time I made it home from work she had sadly passed away. I was very new to my flock and watched the other birds very closely for a few weeks with no symptoms. Now 3 months later she started doing this today. Now my four sex links are sitting in roost with their eyes closed and look ill as well. As for the current cochin I administered the Tylan subcutaneously and gave her some apple cider and water by means of a syringe and she seems to be maintaining. Thanks again for everyones concern and taking the time to help me out!
hi there,
so you are not treating for an upper respiratory disease? this page has some good insights
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm
I find the website to be very advantageous for poultry owners . Oxine is used as a fog mist.

Quote: Fenbendazole is not banned and is still used in almost all species of animals, including food animals. Anyone that thinks they have gapeworms should buy some Safeguard liquid for goats and give it orally as I mentioned in post #18. A studies show that ivermectin is effective, but only when massive doses are given, so that it not an option.

Gapeworms live in the trachea, not the esophagus, so looking in their mouth will not work. See this hole? Unless the gapes are right there at the entrance one will not be able to see them.

Picture:

Above picture from :http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hi there,

Unfortunately I've had a lot of experience with gapeworm on my little chicken farm. Here's my input:

1. If that breathing is accompanied by intervals of "sneezing" (it actually sounds cute until you realize what's going on) then it could very well be gapeworm.

2. Regular de-wormers will not get rid of it. The little buggers are smart enough to stop feeding from the chicken until a systemic de-wormer is out of the hen's system.

3. I use Panacur (fenbendazole, and yes, it is readily available in the US). It's one of the only ones that works on gapeworm. Get a syringe (without the needle) and use a max of 1cc for the biggest hens and roosters (like Jersey Giants), and .5cc for small birds (like bantams). Normal sized birds (cochins, orpingtons, australorps, etc) I'd use about .7cc to .8cc. My easter eggers would get about .6cc. Use your best judgement.

4. Repeat 2x a day for 5 days. Voila! Gapeworms are gone.

There's my gapeworm wisdom. Like I said, the telltale sign for me is the sneezing sound. Next time my girls get it I'll post a video - we get the classic symptoms. Anyway, best of luck!

-Les

Hi there,

Unfortunately I've had a lot of experience with gapeworm on my little chicken farm. Here's my input:

1. If that breathing is accompanied by intervals of "sneezing" (it actually sounds cute until you realize what's going on) then it could very well be gapeworm.

2. Regular de-wormers will not get rid of it. The little buggers are smart enough to stop feeding from the chicken until a systemic de-wormer is out of the hen's system.

3. I use Panacur (fenbendazole, and yes, it is readily available in the US). It's one of the only ones that works on gapeworm. Get a syringe (without the needle) and use a max of 1cc for the biggest hens and roosters (like Jersey Giants), and .5cc for small birds (like bantams). Normal sized birds (cochins, orpingtons, australorps, etc) I'd use about .7cc to .8cc. My easter eggers would get about .6cc. Use your best judgement.

4. Repeat 2x a day for 5 days. Voila! Gapeworms are gone.

There's my gapeworm wisdom. Like I said, the telltale sign for me is the sneezing sound. Next time my girls get it I'll post a video - we get the classic symptoms. Anyway, best of luck!

-Les

I think that liquid Panacur sold in the US is prescription only, so one would need to use Safeguard instead.

-Kathy

Perhaps the liquid is, but the paste is readily available in any livestock supply store. Where I am in NH, it's $14.95 for a tube that lasts me about a year.

-Les

Perhaps the liquid is, but the paste is readily available in any livestock supply store. Where I am in NH, it's $14.95 for a tube that lasts me about a year.

-Les

Did you know that one 125ml bottle of Safeguard liquid or goats = five tubes of Panacur paste?

-Kathy

No I didn't know that! I've never seen the liquid around here but I'll keep an eye out. That would be much better. Thanks!

-Les

Back
Top Bottom